Went back to the hunted out park.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jerry and I went back to the dug up park that we found last weekend. Not much had changed in the landscape since the week before. We both did equally well with more nice coins. We each got a few Barbers, Indian head cents, V nickels, and wheat's.
As we were getting ready to leave a motorcycle cop comes over and informs me that there is an ordinance prohibiting metal detecting in the city parks. :-[ But officer, I said; "The whole park has been dug up with a backhoe. Certinly I can't be doing any damage to the lawn". He said; "Normally we won't bother to enforce this ordinance unless there is a complaint", So I asked him who could possibly have complained? It turns out it was a local detectorist who was booted out of the park twice before for carless digging (This was before the park was all dug up and before any sod was removed. >:(
The officer was very nice and said that he has to respond whenever there is a complaint, which I can understand, so we left. :'(
The ordinance does not apply to metal detecting. Rather to the the "usual and customary": Destroying park property, removal of, and/or destruction of trees, shrubs, flowers, and animals.
I guess I'll have to go to work and see if I can get the city park board to allow a variance or permit to at least allow me to detect there until they lay the sod or plant seed. There are no signs posted. and there are no construction barricades except next to the Civil War statue.

Heres today's finds.

Attachments

• 052706 019.jpg
    052706 019.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 901
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bk

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Michigan Badger said:
It's really amazing how much can be found in these little parks. But today we don't really realize how important and used parks were in the early 20th century.

Good finds

Badger

Badger,
What really blows me away is that this park has been hit hard for more than 30 years. I have not detected it for at least 10 years. People I know that have hunted it said they couldn't find anything there any more. I think that the coins we were finding were anywhere between 6" to 12" or more deep before the sod was removed. It kinda makes one wonder whats still left in some of these older places.

icegator

Apr 22, 2006
Maurice Louisiana
Detector(s) used
fisher 1212x
what a bunch of a**holes. you are not destroying any vegetation, you are filling in your dirt holes. what's the problem. there is a difference between what he did and what you are doing. i would definetly try to push this issue. look at all the historical coins you are finding. sorry for the rant but stuff like this pisses me off!! keep fighting to dig there wish you luck and great coins

ice

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BK, those are some great coins. :)

That would be such a waste if you couldn't detect there. :( Good luck getting permission.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
In order to be consistent in enforcing the ordinance they would have to arrest children for digging in the park.

Have you ever thought of buying a bag of golf tees and taking a niece or nephew along when you hunt? You detect and when you find something you put a golf tee on the spot. The kid digs the target while you detect other areas.

L

Little Bird

All is not lost, there are many spots still to hunt.

Attachments

• old cooke city a.jpg
    old cooke city a.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 629

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
BK

If you have a copy of the ordinance, I would make an appointment with the officer, or one of the higher-ups in the PD. Address the issue head-on - just because somebody makes a complaint doesn't make it a VALID complaint. Obviously if the entire area you are hunting is being "improved" with heavy equipment, you cannot be causing any "destruction", until such time as the park is reseeded or resodded. (and since you leave no trace when you dig turf, its questionable as to whether you are being destructive then as well)

I've gotten cops to rescind citations when I could show that I really wasn't in violation.

Most law enforcement, when presented with the 'letter of the law' are quite reasonable. I certainly wouldn't give up on this one.

Diggem'

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well BK....I do see a sprig of grass or two there...maybe that's it? :D

You two got some really great coins!

Hope you get to go back! Congrats!!

Nana ;)

Wetgreenie

Oct 14, 2005
Central Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500, Tesoro Silver U max
I'd go to the city administrator to try for permission to hunt while tore up.
If successful.... I'd get something on paper.

PRAIRIEWOLF

Jun 26, 2005
MINNESOTA
Thanks to BK I had the best detecting day of my life . I stepped from my vehicle knowing I could be asked to leave the park at any moment . So I never looked at one coin but just stuck them in my bag covered in dirt and kept gettin it done as efficiently as possible . I detected for five and a half hours and never had to speak to a soul . My whole body hurts . But what sweet agony . The pin on the lower right says ( MEMBER the HB idea club keep the quality up . Anyone know what the origin of this pin ? 1920 Mercury / 1899 V nickle / 1890 Indianhead / 1905 Indianhead / 1889 Indianhead / 1908 S Barber / 1907 S Barber / 1912 Barber and a large 14K heavy gold band . Thanks again BK . You Da Man . WOLF

Attachments

• park2.jpg
    park2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 347
OP
OP
bk

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go Prairiewolf! ;)
FYI. This city's park department enforces an ordinance that talks about destroying vegetation, cutting down trees, and molesting animals. It doesn't say squat about using a metal detector, but thats how they decided to enforce the ordinance. The cop who kicked me out said they don't bother detectorists unless someone complains. Some detectorist who, in the past, was asked to leave at least 3 different times, and was also the one who blew the whistle on me. The park dept. bureaucrats told me that there were liability issues by being there, yet there were absolutely no signs, barricades, or fences to indicate there could be a liability issue.
Since I want to be "Mister Nice Guy" and obey the law, I won't go back only because I would then be breaking the law simply by returning after being told to leave by a police officer. Nowhere in this bogus ordinance does it say that I can't tell others where this place is.
Go hit it again. There is probably a gold coin with your name on it.

OP
OP
bk

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just got a phone call from another detecting buddy of mine. He went out to this park on Sunday and found a very rare 1879 seated dime. I'll try to get a pic.

nybuford

Jan 16, 2006
BK those are just awesome finds! WTG. Too bad someone had to spoil the deal for you. Good luck getting that worked out! Would be a shame to lose what could still be lost. (That didn't make any sense!) Oh well.. Hope all works out for you. Either way you have pulled out some amazing coins!
Congrats...
Bu

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread