What's new

Went looking for pottery and found a pipe

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2015
Messages
2,183
Reaction score
3,209
Golden Thread
1
Location
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My area of South Carolina experienced a "thousand year flood" last October. The water level in my favorite river dropped way down yesterday so I launched the jon boat and headed out to check some sanbars for Native American pottery. I wasn't disappointed and was finding some nice shards when I stopped in my tracks. Right at my feet was a completely intact mid-1700s (based on stem hole diameter) kaolin pipe bowl-a first for me.

Not far from there I found the top of what appears to be an 18th century decanter and a glass bottle stopper.

I ended up finding decorative Woodland and Mississippian pottery shards on several sandbars, along with heartbreaker bottle shards, 18th century pottery and even "Mr. Baseball." A very fun and productive day with finds spanning 2500 years.
 

Attachments

  • 1466377363680.webp
    1466377363680.webp
    87.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 1466377572731.webp
    1466377572731.webp
    118.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 1466378122114.webp
    1466378122114.webp
    64.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 1466378142365.webp
    1466378142365.webp
    76.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 1466378162460.webp
    1466378162460.webp
    108.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 1466378180820.webp
    1466378180820.webp
    51.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 1466378196121.webp
    1466378196121.webp
    42.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 1466378210520.webp
    1466378210520.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 1466378225270.webp
    1466378225270.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 1466378238774.webp
    1466378238774.webp
    110.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 1466378249410.webp
    1466378249410.webp
    73.4 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 24
...
 

Attachments

  • 1466378519733.webp
    1466378519733.webp
    49.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 1466378530590.webp
    1466378530590.webp
    43.8 KB · Views: 117
Looked like a beautiful day to hunt sandbars. At least you didn't have to worry about dear ticks. Neat finds
 
Last edited:
Dude I would love to find a pipe! That thing is awesome. Very high on my wish list. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great day.

HH RN
 
That's a sweet pipe. The pottery shards look great. What do you do with all those pieces?
 
That's a sweet pipe. The pottery shards look great. What do you do with all those pieces?

I keep them in separate boxes labeled with the location where I found them. An archaeologist at the University of South Carolina photographs and records them; it helps with their research of natives who lived along the river.
 
Pottery is great, but that pipe is killer. Great finds...:hello2:
 
Outstanding finds!
 
Nice stuff DND. The pipe bowl is sweet, congrats.
 
One of the bottle shards I found has "17" hand-applied (raised numbers) on one side. Could it be half of a date? I doubt I'll ever know but if anyone has info on this I would appreciate it. Possibly a centennial bottle from 1876 or an 18th century bottle with a date?
 

Attachments

  • 1466429151896.webp
    1466429151896.webp
    22 KB · Views: 94
Looks like you had some beautiful weather in a sweet environment. Congrats on the completely intact pipe.
I feel you pain, the broken glass bottles are tear jerkers.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom