Went prospecting for gold, ended up eyeballing some silver!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.

Woke up at dawn to make a 2.5 hour drive to western Massachusetts to do some prospecting on the Westfield River. Unfortunately, that's about how far in any direction I have to drive if I want to find any gold since my area is not a gold producing spot. I had classified material into a 5 gallon bucket and brought it to the water to pan. A few shovels in and I noticed this silver spoon, not two inches from where I set the bucket.

Oddly enough, I usually bring a metal detector with me on trips like this, but I left them at home today. From what I can tell, even though I can't find a match online for the spoon, it is a souvenir from the Bethesda Pavilion in Waukesha, Wisconsin. How it ended up on a river bank in western Massachusetts, I will never know.

Thanks for looking and I hope you got a chance to go out and enjoy the day!

20200620_170210.jpg
20200620_135853.jpg
20200620_161930.jpg
20200620_161836.jpg
20200620_135911.jpg

-Jay

Upvote 23
OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah... the gold!

Didn't cover the gas money today.

gold.jpg

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol, treasure is where you find it!

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!

I lived in Waukesha for 11-years . . . folks from all over the country came there for the mineral springs & water

Bethesda spring.jpg

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NZ49er - Haha. Yep. And I reckon I won't leave the detectors at home next trip up.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!

I lived in Waukesha for 11-years . . . folks from all over the country came there for the mineral springs & water

View attachment 1842857

Thank you! It took a few minutes for me to get to that picture you posted. I was assuming Bethesda, Maryland in my searches. Still didn't find an exact match on the spoon but learned a bit of history of that area.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm guessing that is one of those spoons travelers collect and display?

That's my thought as well. I am guessing it has a little bit of age to it, maybe the 1950s or so, since it doesn't have the crowned, colorized, ceramic inlay that you see in the modern tourist spoons. After dinner I am going to see if I can find the mint mark online and hopefully narrow down the age.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice spoon! Did you just eyeball it? Congratulations!

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice spoon! Did you just eyeball it? Congratulations!

Thank you! Yep. It was just laying on the ground next to where I was panning. Noticed it a few pans in.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome relic find! :icon_thumleft:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find Monster! I spent 11 years of my life in your town..

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Monster! I spent 11 years of my life in your town..

Thank you sir. If you want to trade the spoon for your pine tree shilling, just shoot me a message!

I mostly hate my town. I am glad for you that you managed to escaped.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice find to eyeball! Did you find any gold to speak of? I had no idea that there was any gold to be found in Mass!

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice find to eyeball! Did you find any gold to speak of? I had no idea that there was any gold to be found in Mass!

Yessir, out the western way, you can find some. I have a picture up thread a bit. I only dug about three hours so I was happy to get that tiny amount. Thank you!

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool eyeball find!.....love the Westfield River for trout fishing!!

HH all!

Greg

Tons of bait fish in that river that I saw. Quite a few fisherman and we were all respectful to let each other enjoy the river in our own ways. Maybe I will see you some time!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread