Went prospecting for gold, ended up eyeballing some silver!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.

Woke up at dawn to make a 2.5 hour drive to western Massachusetts to do some prospecting on the Westfield River. Unfortunately, that's about how far in any direction I have to drive if I want to find any gold since my area is not a gold producing spot. I had classified material into a 5 gallon bucket and brought it to the water to pan. A few shovels in and I noticed this silver spoon, not two inches from where I set the bucket.

Oddly enough, I usually bring a metal detector with me on trips like this, but I left them at home today. From what I can tell, even though I can't find a match online for the spoon, it is a souvenir from the Bethesda Pavilion in Waukesha, Wisconsin. How it ended up on a river bank in western Massachusetts, I will never know.

Thanks for looking and I hope you got a chance to go out and enjoy the day!

20200620_170210.jpg
20200620_135853.jpg
20200620_161930.jpg
20200620_161836.jpg
20200620_135911.jpg

-Jay

Upvote 23
OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice chunk of Sterling!

Thank you, fist!

I emailed the Waukesha historical society in regards to the spoon and this was the response I got back. CONSIDERABLY older than I thought!:

Jay,

Thanks for the email and great story!

I shared your email and photos with the leading Springs Era historian/collector. While he did recognize the spoon, it's only the second example he's ever seen - the other one only a recent addition to his collection.

The spoon dates between 1882-1892, as that was when the spring was tented as shown. A more permanent wood pavilion structure replaced it.

"The Great Waukesha Springs Era" by John Schoenknecht is the most comprehensive book on the many springs of Waukesha, including Bethesda.

Bethesda was founded in 1868 by Col. Richard Dunbar and as you found, marked the beginning of Waukesha's reputation as a city of springs. Larger businesses - like Bethesda - built up parks and pavilions for tourists coming to drink their waters, along with large hotels and health resorts. Many of the parks in the city today are former spring parks. I attached here a brief article from our quarterly publication, Landmark that gives a nice overview of the many springs established.

Will likely share it on our social media this week. If ever you look to donate the spoon to an historic society or public collection, our collections committee would be glad to chat with you further.

Thanks again for sharing and happy hunting!

Best,

Bonnie Byrd

Executive Director
Waukesha County Historical Society & Museum

That's pretty exciting for a dumb luck find!

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job sir!!!!!!!

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread