Went to look for grips. Turned into a ww1 Bayonet spill.

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When the m1892 French bayonet came out it was 6:20 at night and getting dark. I didn't use pin pointer. a few swipes of dirt with my soil knife i exposed what i thought was just an iron bar. Realized quickly it was not. Shut off detector, didnt check hole. Too much excitement. Then trecked back to car while I could still see.

I went back today and it was all nails and ammo. Got to area French bayonet came out of and get an identical signal a few inches away. I thought to myself there's no way this is a bayonet spill...

It was a little tough to get out because the bush kinda grew around it. But out came what looks like a ww1 era Remington bayonet? Update: per baw may also be British. It's in line for electrolysis cell.

Really wish I knew how two ww1 bayonets ended up under a bush inches apart. Though I have a theory.

Inprocess of cleaning them. It's bush mate all these years was a French model 1892. That has 3 various from what I read. 1st run were muzzle ring same width as guard. Then one with extended muzzle ring and finally a version with shortened quillion for calvary use. Mine is the 1st or 2nd variety. I haven't called it yet. In person looks like a type1. Some photos look like type 2.

Attachments

• 20231015_185619.jpg
    20231015_185619.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
  • 20231015_164231.jpg
    20231015_164231.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
  • 20231015_165906.jpg
    20231015_165906.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Upvote 20
OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I definitely wonder why they were there, together. Roughly where were you? USA?
Yes USA. East coast. From what I've read there was military veteran activity there. I'm aware of at least one Picnic/reunion.

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a story they could tell! Interesting finds!
I did find a photo of a veteran event there. Send it to you privately though.

BAW

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your 2nd bayonet is either a British Model 1907, a British Model 1913 or a U.S. Model 1917. If you find decipherable markings on the blade it will be possible to tell which of the three it is. Even without markings it is possible to tell a Model 1907 from a Model 1913 or Model 1917 by very slight differences in dimensions. Unfortunately, wifhout markings it is impossible to tell a British M1913 from a U.S. M1917, as they are interchangeable.

OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your 2nd bayonet is either a British Model 1907, a British Model 1913 or a U.S. Model 1917. If you find decipherable markings on the blade it will be possible to tell which of the three it is. Even without markings it is possible to tell a Model 1907 from a Model 1913 or Model 1917 by very slight differences in dimensions. Unfortunately, wifhout markings it is impossible to tell a British M1913 from a U.S. M1917, as they are interchangeable.
Thank you. Blade is in decent shape except one spot towards tips. So may get markings after it gets its turn in electrolysis cell.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the m1892 French bayonet came out it was 6:20 at night and getting dark. I didn't use pin pointer. a few swipes of dirt with my soil knife i exposed what i thought was just an iron bar. Realized quickly it was not. Shut off detector, didnt check hole. Too much excitement. Then trecked back to car while I could still see.

I went back today and it was all nails and ammo. Got to area French bayonet came out of and get an identical signal a few inches away. I thought to myself there's no way this is a bayonet spill...

It was a little tough to get out because the bush kinda grew around it. But out came what looks like a ww1 era Remington bayonet? Update: per baw may also be British. It's in line for electrolysis cell.

Really wish I knew how two ww1 bayonets ended up under a bush inches apart. Though I have a theory.

Inprocess of cleaning them. It's bush mate all these years was a French model 1892. That has 3 various from what I read. 1st run were muzzle ring same width as guard. Then one with extended muzzle ring and finally a version with shortened quillion for calvary use. Mine is the 1st or 2nd variety. I haven't called it yet. In person looks like a type1. Some photos look like type 2.
Very Cool!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread