western KY fossils

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
found these fossils in a fresh water spring and creek that runs on our property in western KY. usually I find the best things after a hard rain has washed them out of the underground spring. Picture 1 is a nice shell, the only one I found that was not broken up. Pic 2 is a small group of rogosa horn coral that is fairly common here. Pic 3 I think is a small sand dollar. You can see the star on the back of it. It is the size of a large green pea. Pic 4 I can't recall right off what these are called but they are a type of urchin found in shallow seas. Pic 6 shows the "gills" of one of them. Pic 7 is one of the biggest crinoid stem that I have every found. most of them are broken up into small pieces. this one is 2 inches in length and has many "leaf" stems coming out of it.

Attachments

• fossil 1.jpg
    fossil 1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 533
  • fossil 2.jpg
    fossil 2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 932
  • fossil 3.jpg
    fossil 3.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 715
  • fossil 4.jpg
    fossil 4.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 611
  • fossil 6.jpg
    fossil 6.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 497
  • fossil 7.jpg
    fossil 7.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 482

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Those are blastoids (Pentramites sp.) not crinoids. Very cool. I have quite a few that I have found in your area. Some are bigger than walnuts.

Cool post. Cool finds!

chuck

OP
OP
huntress104

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
thanks ohio for the correction. blastoids is what I couldn't remember. a friend of mine at work said this whole area here was a shallow sea at one time. It is truly amazing some of the things I find at that spring. who knows there could be something really big in there.....

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
I love those things in pic 4, what a cool shape. I hope you do find something big, happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread