wet ground? better or worse finds while the soil soaks...

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
new-be question: does soaked ground make for better finds? here at my location in the north eastern PA area, we've been getting killed with rains... does this make it better for finding coins at depth? does water logged ground help or hinder metal detecting? I've never seen this addressed in Garrett's book on coin finding and haven't heard anything really about it on here....anyone? my recent finds have been good- :) and the ground has been wet, but dig-able! (not slushy)...

anyhow -just wondering about wet conditions making searching better or worse...

Upvote 0
Hi, i think its good when it has rained, that the detector can go deeper/get better signal than a land that is sand dry, but if i don't have forgot i think if its to much water in the ground its bigger chans to get ''false signals'' if i remember it right?

HALO man it's all about the HALO,Damp soil for sure!!!!!!!!!Been rainin here a lot too,I love it!!!!!!!!!!

I always have better luck after it rains. Plus it make it easier to dig sometimes

hey mods - sorry about posting this thread to today's finds...I meant to post this to general discussion.... ::)

Wetter is Better! (not too wet though) :icon_thumright:

Wet ground rules.

another vote for wet / moist ground , easy diggin as well

I bet on Wet !!! :laughing9:
Lost lake "What kind of coil did you get?"

OK,ive gotta put my 2 bits in :laughing7:......This is atopic that always intrigues me.When ever it rains i recheck the good sites at least once and usually double my good finds,when its hot and dry soil i just dont find alot........I vote for wet soil :icon_sunny: :thumbsup:

Supersaturated is great for finding deep coins. Hard on the knees from digging so much. Be sure to wear gloves, and try not to attract too much attention.

As previously stated, soggy ground produces the halo effect in soils, and makes deeper targets easier for the detector to "see". Here in Oregon, best time to hunt is December-March due to heavy rainfall and cold weather combination. Cold kills the vegetation/grass closer to the ground, and the water makes the halos "pop".

I'd have to say wet ground is better for depth, water helps the metal conduct more. I've also found with my Cibola that I get alot more solid signals that turn out to be pull tabs, where as in dry ground those are usually scratchy. That leads me to believe that every signal would be stronger in wetter conditions. I'm not positive, but that's been my experience

Wetter es better! :headbang: :laughing7:

WET! Please any you guys have any rain to spare, send it down to Houston, we're 22" behind in our rainfall, with 90 degree temperature plus, everyday!

beerbarrel

beerbarrel said:
WET! Please any you guys have any rain to spare, send it down to Houston, we're 22" behind in our rainfall, with 90 degree temperature plus, everyday!

beerbarrel

Haha you can have some of ours from NY its been raining alot here ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back