whale vertebrae?

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill start by saying that I know very little about identifying bone fossils, but I found this at West Moreland park In Virginia which is on the Potomac river. They say you can find things like Whale vertebrae sharks teeth dolphin bones etc.. To me it looks like chert that has an interesting shape, but I figure I might as well clear up any doubts and post it and see if it might be a fossil such as a whale vert. I found no shark teeth while there...unfortunately. But I did find some other possible fossilized things that I post another time. Thx.

chert v.jpg

chert v2.jpg

chert v3.jpg

chert v4.jpg

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
It doesn't look like a vert at all. With the wear on a vert like that you would see porous (sp?) material.

It is true though that you can find a some nice fossil teeth, and verts there on the Potomac

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can identify a species but you definitely have vertebrae of some type! It is highly worn, so it has spend a lot of its life washing down a river or tumbling in surf. Looks like both pre and post-depositional wear.

OP
OP
F

fuss

Jul 27, 2018
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forgot to add object for scale in the image, this measures 3" across by2 1/2" tall. weight is just over 14oz.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread