What's new

What about THIS Google Earth house/cabin????

Joined
Feb 23, 2009
Messages
364
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
Moscow-ish, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 w/7.5&3kHz coils
What about THIS Google Earth 'house/cabin'????

First off....I hope it's OK to post such 'wonderment' posts here in the General Discussion. I figured I'd share some of the more unusual places I've come across.


Now - I've never been to this place, but it is quite near my parents' house (within 2miles or so).

Obviously, Sandy Beach Trail and the offshoot side-road is the way to get to it.......but it doesn't look well work at all!
The history of this area had a lot of open farmland back in the 1800's. It may have since grown in.


I just wanna know.......do you think it's old or am I looking at some rich attorney's summer getaway cabin???


http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=41.268162,-75.531971&spn=0.003556,0.008283&z=17


-
 
Re: What about THIS Google Earth 'house/cabin'????

Yes as Long as It's Treasure/Detecting Related in any way General
Discussing is Fine

As for the Cabin Can you look it up on a Tax site ?

this may help you figure out it's ownership and age
 
Re: What about THIS Google Earth 'house/cabin'????

jeff of pa said:
Yes as Long as It's Treasure/Detecting Related in any way General
Discussing is Fine

As for the Cabin Can you look it up on a Tax site ?

this may help you figure out it's ownership and age


How?

I got as far as this....
http://landex.lackawannacounty.org/index.asp


Information overload!
 
Re: What about THIS Google Earth 'house/cabin'????

unfortunately
they don't have an interactive map
so my idea is out
 
Re: What about THIS Google Earth 'house/cabin'????

Gary, it does not look like there is any noticeable driveway going in and nothing to suggest that there is parking next to the road. Probably has not seen use in quite some time. If the property is posted, find the owner and get permission. If not, go take a look.

habs
 
Re: What about THIS Google Earth 'house/cabin'????

eathabs said:
Gary, it does not look like there is any noticeable driveway going in and nothing to suggest that there is parking next to the road. Probably has not seen use in quite some time. If the property is posted, find the owner and get permission. If not, go take a look.

habs


I've put my father to that task........He's lucky in that he retires permanently on April 30th, he's got two 4-wheelers, and he's eying up a Garrett MD (I don't know which model).

I asked him to take a ride out to this spot and snap some pics and read any info on posted signs, if any.


I'll keep y'all up to date.


-
 
Re: What about THIS Google Earth 'house/cabin'????

hi garry,

i would hit that place hard. go get some old coins now. :thumbsup:

henry
 
Re: What about THIS Google Earth 'house/cabin'????

I'm gonna get some close-up digipics of this cabin this weekend.

I'll post 'em when I get 'em!

-
 
Re: What about THIS Google Earth 'house/cabin'????

Didn't get pics because when I 'found it'.....I thought it was a different house.

Once back at my house and able to reexamine Google Maps very closely, I discovered that I DID in fact view this house.

The main straight path/road that you see leading to the 'cabin' in the link above was barricaded and posted.

I drove north just a hundred feet or so and saw another faint but gated path. NO posted signs.

<flame suit on>

So I went around the gate and walked in. Th path is faint. Car sized. There were stick and such laying over the faint wheel ruts in the road telling me that nobody has been here in a while.
It was a little windey and about 200-300ft in, was the house/cabin. Bigger than a 'cabin' smaller than a 'house'. Newer than the 1939 aerial pic I have. I'm not going to pursue this further.

If you look carefully, you can see the wheel path that I walked on. It's just slightly north of the obvious path.


Case closed.
 
Re: What about THIS Google Earth 'house/cabin'????

Gary, you should try to find out who the land owner is. You might be able to get permission to hunt the property. Spring gobbler season starts this weekend. If it is a hunting camp you may find the gate unlocked or open. Who know's, you might meet someone as you drive by. If you do end up finding the owner and you are ready to ask for permission, use the term detect not hunt.

Keep us posted.

habs
 
Re: What about THIS Google Earth 'house/cabin'????

I don't know if I'd give up on checking that place out, when I zoomed in I saw the remnants of another building to the se of the main cabin/house....like the others said, see if you can find the owners and ask permission.
 
Re: What about THIS Google Earth 'house/cabin'????

Gosh - I don't know how I'll 'bump' into the owner to even ask.
The main access to the place appears very little traveled (and hasn't been for a few months.....twigs/branches across trail undisturbed).

Granted, I'm in the vocal minority (but I think a part of the silent MAJORITY) of folks who have no problem hunting without breaking my neck for permission IF the property looks abandoned. But this property does not look dilapidated or abused.

I'll go back and get pics of the place. I don't have any reservations going up and doing that, at least.

IIRC...those remnant you see are possibly a shed behind the cabin.
OldGoat - how far SE of the house do you see the remnants? 10ft (shed) or more?

-
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom