What are the funniest things you have heard from a teller or someone about coins

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Please tell me what is the funniest thing you heard a teller or someone say about coins you were picking up or any coins in general.

My funniest was when I picked up a quarter by the side of a road and someone told me "It's a silver dollar." I then said it was a state quarter and he said "Those are collectable, right?" :laughing7:

I have no idea how you can mistake a quarter for a large dollar, but I think the person never even saw what a silver dollar looks like.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
i just love that scamola american gold "clad" buffalo coin on TV --clad with 14 MILLIGRAMS of fine 999 gold *-- lets see 28 grams per oz -- a milligram is 1 / 1000 th of a gram -- so 14 milligrams x 2000 coins = 28 grams or 1 oz --so each coin has 1 / 2000 th of a oz of gold clad over the base metal used. -- with gold at say 1800 a oz that would be a whopping 90 cents of actual gold plating (clad) per coin . :tard:

it takes a very very dim mentally weak person who can not even do simple math --- to think that their going to get a 1800 dollar value * 1 oz 999 fine gold coin for $9.99 . -- but "theres a sucker born every minute" as pt used to say . :(

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
ivan salis said:
i just love that scamola american gold "clad" buffalo coin on TV --clad with 14 MILLIGRAMS of fine 999 gold *-- lets see 28 grams per oz -- a milligram is 1 / 1000 th of a gram -- so 14 milligrams x 2000 coins = 28 grams or 1 oz --so each coin has 1 / 2000 th of a oz of gold clad over the base metal used. -- with gold at say 1800 a oz that would be a whopping 90 cents of actual gold plating (clad) per coin . :tard:

it takes a very very dim mentally weak person who can not even do simple math --- to think that their going to get a 1800 dollar value * 1 oz 999 fine gold coin for $9.99 . -- but "theres a sucker born every minute" as pt used to say . :(
People just don't know that the TV people will always want to earn money. The only way you can get a real gold buffalo for $10 is through an unknowledgeable yard seller.

CamK13

Greenie
Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only been at it a week but what the teller said Saturday was the best. After asking for his loose halves he turned glossy-eyed and in all sincerity asked "Are you a magician?" I think it was his child-like innocence that made it that truly funny.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, a magician.

Ma'am, I am going to turn these half dollars into 20 dollar bills..................... :headbang: :headbang:

That was cute, though.

Beth

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Rascal said:
ivan salis said:
how can one new bank teller chick look and act so dumb -yet still know about silver to the point that it can mess up my action? -- I mean the valley "view" was nice and all , but I'd rather have my silver instead.

You DO know you are supposed to tell her that you are still seeking the elusive 1970-D, don't you? Doubtless the view just took your breath away for a minute there.

Rascal

Or you are looking for the '36-DD...sorry couldn't pass that up :o

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
bblair said:
Or you are looking for the '36-DD...sorry couldn't pass that up :o

Oh I say,, sir, touche! Jolly good shot. {Ivan Salis adds: Yeah, good shot indeed.]

Rascal

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
loved the one yesterday .
pulled into the drive thru -
me - got any halfs
her --yes we got $100.00 worth , would you like some?
me ( thinking- no I asked if you had any , because I'd not not want any , duh) actual answer --yes all of them , please

me --do you need me to come in to get em? -- her --no we can send it thru the tube (first time i ever had one offer to send $100 bucksof halves worth thru the tube--but it was the commerial line)-- i pull over to the parking lot and cull thru em --

score !!!!
(1) 63 ben
(1) 45 walker
(4) 64's
(13) 65 - 69 40 %ers

i go back thru the line ---"uh got any more?" --

no we get them in from time to time though -- me --well if you get anymore in call me -- I leave my card with phone number

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the best thing a teller said to me so far is "oh your looking for the gold half dollars" i replied yes so if you see them save them for me.

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
tanz 82 said:
the best thing a teller said to me so far is "oh your looking for the gold half dollars" i replied yes so if you see them save them for me.

She might mean Sacagawea dollars

White Silver

Oct 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:

One oz of metals is 31 grams

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Today I was dumping some coins at a branch that I had some bad experience with, but unfortunately I ended up with a very friendly teller. I had hoped my dump would have been taken in by the teller who had given me some problems in the past.

Anyhow...we got to talking about coins and bills. He started telling me about how much silver he finds and how there are a few other customers who come in looking for old coins and notes.

Evidently his pride and joy is a gold-plated half that he "researched" online and found is worth $24.95.

I put those things in a pile when I find them CRHing. That junk pile is now the bait pile...:occasion18:

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned in another post

"There have never been any other dollar coins other than the ones with the presidents on them and the Susan B. Anthony ones. Whatever ones you are talking about are fake and probably filled with chocolate." - An actual quote from a fellow "coin expert" when talking about dollar coins

I guess it's not something funny that I heard, but the other day I found an India 2 Annas coin from 1862 in the garbage can next to the coin counter at my C.U., also in there was a Canadian nickel and 2 quarters stuck together. That's pretty funny to me to throw away a 150 year old silver coin.

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess it's not something funny that I heard, but the other day I found an India 2 Annas coin from 1862 in the garbage can next to the coin counter at my C.U., also in there was a Canadian nickel and 2 quarters stuck together. That's pretty funny to me to throw away a 150 year old silver coin.

Did you take it? People just don't care to take any rejected coins to even check them.

Stats on the 2 annas

Date Mintage F VF XF Unc
1862(c) 29,653,000 1.75 3.50 7.50 15.00
1862(c) Proof — Value: 125
1862(b) 21,037,000 2.50 5.00 10.00 20.00
1862(b) Prooflike; Restrike — — — — 40.00

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you take it? People just don't care to take any rejected coins to even check them.

Yeah I took it, I always take what people leave behind. I mean, how lazy is the person who cant unstick 2 quarters? I think most people are programmed to simply glance at their coins and if they don't recognize them, then they are not money, and thus garbage.

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I took it, I always take what people leave behind. I mean, how lazy is the person who cant unstick 2 quarters? I think most people are programmed to simply glance at their coins and if they don't recognize them, then they are not money, and thus garbage.

I look under the machine and always unstick the coins (from floor and from glue). I use a special homemade tool made from steel to remove the coins from under the machine.

OP
OP
sagittarius98

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
My favorite running gag with tellers is when I'm dumping they ask me if I want Large bills... I just smile and reply that "I'll take the regular sized hundreds".

You should take the large currency, it is worth way more than face.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
One time I told a teller that I found some Wheat pennies in those rolls, to explain him why am I buying so many penny rolls every week. It was a bit too loud in the bank, so what he heard was:
Me:I found some wheat pennies in those rolls
Teller: You found some weed in those pennies?
Me: "Trying to not to laugh" No, I mean American pre 1959 Wheat cents, they have two wheat sheaf's on the reverse.
Teller: Ohh gotcha....
Anyway I shared the story with my friends and though to share it with you guys.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
A teller asked me if I was looking for silver, when I bought a large amount of halves a few weeks ago. I said "silver? They Make silver coins?" And she said yea they used to make them back in the 1980's I think". "thanks for the help" and left.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Dumping 2 days ago, I bring in my 2 boxes, as normal, and a new teller helps me at the counter and say to me " Oh, do you keep all the silver out of these ?" I say, " You say all the silver like these boxes come full of it, lol, I wish it was that easy, but no, We look for error coins and proofs to fill the kids coin books with". "All the silver", this had me really laughing. Thats my story. HH maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread