What's new

What are these stone structures?

enchantedhiker

Greenie
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Midcoast Maine
Was out hiking near the site of an old mill and found large foundation with these two structures. Tops of both have remenents of bricks; closest one has flat stone on top which about 4 feet long and 4" wide; further one has a 5 foot,flat stone on the back opening which is positioned like a shelf or seat.
There are several gravestones in a cemetary nearby with dates of death in 1863 and 1868. The man died in Texas serving in the Civil War.
This foundation is along the old road which is about 3 miles through the woods from the site where I found the relics pictured in Don't Laugh I'm New.
Ground was too frozen yesterday to dig, but I did see the evidence of some stuff that I'll be checking out when it's warmer.
Unfortunately, I am not having too much luck finding out about this area, but will keep digging ( in books and in the earth.) :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0854[1].webp
    IMG_0854[1].webp
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,759
  • IMG_0857[1].webp
    IMG_0857[1].webp
    64.8 KB · Views: 1,722
  • IMG_0859[1].webp
    IMG_0859[1].webp
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,697
OH! And please be careful of old wells around the cellar holes. I have seen some nice ones, big enough to consume a human.
 
in my opinion its a formed fortifications
 
Yes, I have found a number of open wells and am amazed first, that I've never seen one in my previous years of tromping through the woods and secondly that they are uncovered. Some are extremely deep and look as though they'd be impossible to get out of. I wonder how many animals have fallen in....
I actually found one recently in the woods a few feet from my driveway and right next to a paved road.
What is a 'formed fortification'?
 
When You find a well, It is a good idea to mark it, or wrap some surveyors tape around nearby trees or driven stakes.

Many wells are located right near the foundation. The 1730 cape I talked about, has a secret room in the cellar. We are told the rooms were used for Indian attacks, and in fact, when Indians attacked this cape, the owner put his wife in the room, but he was killed defending his home. The entrance wasn't actually discovered for some time after my brother moved in. I still remember the phone call when he said, "I found the secret room!"

A well is near the front corner of the house, about 6 or so feet from the foundation. It has a large granite slab for a cover. When cleaning out the inside of the cellar, it was noticed that a large rock in the foundation was free to be moved. It was located in the front corner of the house, right at floor level. Upon removal of this rock, the secret room had been discoverded. It is large enough for 3 or 4 people to cram into it. The back wall of the room is actually the well foundation, and the well water could be accessed from there, making it possible to stay there for some time.

Any number of the foundations we encounter in the woods today may contain one of these secret rooms. Of course, in order to access it, it would have to be dug out to the original dirt floor.

Good luck!...............HH............And be careful!
 
enchantedhiker said:
Yes, I have found a number of open wells and am amazed first, that I've never seen one in my previous years of tromping through the woods and secondly that they are uncovered. Some are extremely deep and look as though they'd be impossible to get out of. I wonder how many animals have fallen in....
I actually found one recently in the woods a few feet from my driveway and right next to a paved road.
What is a 'formed fortification'?

the defensive position, a former Pillbox
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom