What an interesting topic! Thank you for posting this question, as it appeals to the organized part of my brain. (Although a different part worries that anything we say on this thread might come across as boasting to some...).
My records aren't as comprehensive or precise as some of yours, but here are some statistics I can derive from 2019-2022.
By the way, I do think that different people detect in different ways, with different goals and of course in different locations. Personally I have two different types of detecting I do: park detecting (75% of my time, looking for silver) and "old site" detecting (25% of my time, looking primarily for large coppers).
With that in mind, some numbers:
- between 2019 and 2021 I found 105 silver coins, with more than 75% coming from parks. During that time I believe I found about 350 wheat pennies (about 7 rolls, including some in a book where I'm trying to collect every variety), so my ratio of silver-to-wheat is about 1-to-3.
- In 2022 I've found 17 silver coins and 53 wheat pennies, so 1-to-3.11.
> these results surprised me, as I subscribed to the "one silver per 10 wheat" rule of thumb.
- In 2021 I chronicled many visits to a virgin park with "a sidewalk to nowhere" (link at end of sentence). At a risk of sounding like a boast, and with the intent of sharing statistics, I'll say that in this park I found:
> 5 war nickels
> 21 Mercury dimes
> 21 Roosevelt silver dimes (interesting that the dimes were 50/50 Merc/Rosie with zero Barbers)
> 5 Washington silver quarters
> 1 Standing Liberty quarters
> 2 Walking Liberty halves
I think these ratios are interesting and noteworthy because I probably won't find another virgin park like this, and it gives a good cross-section of what was dropped between 1920 (park was a school) and 1990 (school closed).
Link to the chronicle:
https://www.treasurenet.com/threads/another-9-yes-9-silver-coins-from-the-sidewalk-field.659944/
As for copper & nickel coins, some numbers and then a conclusion:
- 2019-2021 large coppers (various): 16
- 2019-2021 Indian Heads: 17
- 2019-2021 old nickels (buffalo, V, Shield): 15
Conclusion: while the sample size is small, this tells me I should be equally excited about finding any one of those types of coins (yet the large coppers are actually WAAYY more exciting than the nickels....)
I hope this was interesting to someone, and thank you E-Trac for the chance to share some stats.
- Brian