What's new

What constitutes a "Hoard"

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2010
Messages
1,984
Reaction score
483
Golden Thread
0
Location
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What constitutes a "Hoard"

I see the word "Hoard" mentioned on this board most everyday. What exactly is your definition of a hoard?

I will start with mine to lead the parade off:

1986 - 2010 MS69 Silver Eagles NGC graded. (Complete set year to date)

9 rolls of 40%
3 rolls of 90% JFK's
2 rolls of 90% Bennie's
1/2 roll of 90% Walkers

10 rolls of 40%

2 rolls of 90% quarters
2 rolls of 90% dimes (Mixed lot)

Also have several Morgans that are sliders and many Morgans that are graded or will be graded in the near future.

Six rolls of 1oz Silver Rounds and 1 roll on the way.

What is your hoard?
 
Upvote 0
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

I'm not sure if that is a hourd or not? I'll need to verify it with my own eyes. What's your address? :tongue3: :tongue3:
 
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

Piercesdad said:
I'm not sure if that is a hourd or not? I'll need to verify it with my own eyes. What's your address? :tongue3: :tongue3:

I will gladly post a pic when I assemble everything for your viewing pleasure. However, let me check with Mr Smith and Mr Wesson
and see if they want me to give out my address...... :laughing9:
 
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

When you can swim in them, you have a hoard.
 
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

The method whereby an individual acquires the would be hoard - would I think be a requirement
for such a designation, or the circumstances surrounding the discovery of same . There is
the implication that a mass of valuables has been hidden or stashed , and abruptly found .
How about some story line regarding your "hoard" ??? Argentium.
 
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

You know what they say a picture is worth a thousand words; this is my def of a hoard, a hoard acquired in one day last year! ;D
 

Attachments

  • 100_1277.webp
    100_1277.webp
    68.8 KB · Views: 421
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

Argentium said:
The method whereby an individual acquires the would be hoard - would I think be a requirement
for such a designation, or the circumstances surrounding the discovery of same . There is
the implication that a mass of valuables has been hidden or stashed , and abruptly found .
How about some story line regarding your "hoard" ??? Argentium.

I would be happy to please you with a story. In December of last year my friend gave me a US Mint Proof set for my birth year.
I instantly found a new hobby that pretty much consumes most of my off time. I was purchasing Morgan dollars when I could find a good buy (Which by now has long since been gone as people are catching onto silver), I am still buying Morgan Dollars but I am much more picky on what I buy. The ASE's are beautiful coins and I wanted a complete set. I could not afford the the MS 70's so went with the next best thing, MS 69. I scoured all the coin shops, online precious metal retailers and two of my
favorite coin shops in town looking for the best deals. It took me about six months to piece it all together, they are even in NGC boxes :laughing9:. CRH gave me some of the Halves, Dimes and quarters. My avatar came from my father when he passed away, was offered $80.00 dollars for the coin but memories are better than money. I found that buillon (Buffaloes my favorite) fluctate with the price of silver. When it gets down to 17 and change, I can pick them up for just a tad over 18.05. Figure I will purchase land in TN or NC when I have acquired the proper amount. Just waiting for silver to start another climb, may take four or five years but it is an investment. I also have various other collectible coins such as war nickels, merc's and such, just not in great quantities.

Most of my 40% came from a huge buy where I got the mint sets for $2.10 a piece, they contain only one half for those years that I bought so I figured why not, I am not losing any money and the remainder of the set can be placed in flips and sold
in 15 years as uncirculated. The 90% have come from a combination of buys of mint sets, CRH and some of my fathers stash that he had before he passed away.
 
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

A small or large hoard has been used to describe any accumulation of valuables.

So I suppose a handfull constitutes a small hoard, a treasure chest full would have to be a large hoard.

Mojo
 
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

[mod]OFF TOPIC![/mod]
 
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

This is the second thread hijacked by politics...... :help:
 
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

AGCoinHunter said:
When you can swim in them, you have a hoard.

I believe, when you can't swim with them, you have a hoard.
 
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

TXTim said:
AGCoinHunter said:
When you can swim in them, you have a hoard.

I believe, when you can't swim with them, you have a hoard.
That is my thought too; coins are heavy if you had a swimming pool full of say halves you really could not swim in them- say you were able to gig your carcass down 3 feet in your Silver filled pool you be crushed to death by the weight of the Silver on your carcass.
 
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

obediah said:
TXTim said:
AGCoinHunter said:
When you can swim in them, you have a hoard.

I believe, when you can't swim with them, you have a hoard.
That is my thought too; coins are heavy if you had a swimming pool full of say halves you really could not swim in them- say you were able to gig your carcass down 3 feet in your Silver filled pool you be crushed to death by the weight of the Silver on your carcass.

Hey, at least you would die happy.... :)
 
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

AGCoinHunter said:
obediah said:
TXTim said:
AGCoinHunter said:
When you can swim in them, you have a hoard.

I believe, when you can't swim with them, you have a hoard.
That is my thought too; coins are heavy if you had a swimming pool full of say halves you really could not swim in them- say you were able to gig your carcass down 3 feet in your Silver filled pool you be crushed to death by the weight of the Silver on your carcass.

Hey, at least you would die happy.... :)
If had my choice tweenst dying 3 feet down in a swimming pool filled with Silver and say in my sleep (of natural causes) under a bridge along the river, the bridge- river would be my choice without a second thought!
 
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

I'd say that you have a "real" hoard when the weight of your safe in the cellar cracks the concrete floor and your house starts to tilt. "THAT'S A HOARD!
rileyboy
 
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

FreedomUIC said:
I see the word "Hoard" mentioned on this board most everyday. What exactly is your definition of a hoard?

I will start with mine to lead the parade off:

1986 - 2010 MS69 Silver Eagles NGC graded. (Complete set year to date)

9 rolls of 40%
3 rolls of 90% JFK's
2 rolls of 90% Bennie's
1/2 roll of 90% Walkers

10 rolls of 40%

2 rolls of 90% quarters
2 rolls of 90% dimes (Mixed lot)

Also have several Morgans that are sliders and many Morgans that are graded or will be graded in the near future.

Six rolls of 1oz Silver Rounds and 1 roll on the way.

What is your hoard?

almost 2 tons of copper and still growing.

That's my hoard. :-)

My silver? Just a collection. Not a hoard.
 
Re: What constitutes a "Hoard"

i guess it depends on ur definition of a hoard...could be 2 wheat pennies, and a silver dimes, of 15 boxes of silver halves...it really varies.
i personally would say u did own a small hoard...just my opinion tho.
keep it up and hh!
 

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom