What's new

What do I have?

Jelly936

Jr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2025
Messages
33
Reaction score
73
Golden Thread
0
Location
Iowa
Detector(s) used
At Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am very new to native artifacts so my knowledge base is pretty low. I do have an idea of what this may be but I’d like some informed opinions from folks in the know on this type of stuff.

Found in a farm field in Southern Iowa/Northern Missouri. Sandstone/Soapstone.

Appears to have been worked or shaped. It has one very obvious cylindrical groove area and a second less obvious on an edge. Gouge marks could be plow strikes but they seem more purposeful/decorative looking than accidental.

If anyone can give me their opinion or inform me as to what this might be I would greatly appreciate it!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1252.webp
    IMG_1252.webp
    2.9 MB · Views: 466
  • IMG_1289.webp
    IMG_1289.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_1284.webp
    IMG_1284.webp
    2.1 MB · Views: 296
  • IMG_1282.webp
    IMG_1282.webp
    2.4 MB · Views: 306
  • IMG_1257.webp
    IMG_1257.webp
    2.3 MB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1256.webp
    IMG_1256.webp
    2 MB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1255.webp
    IMG_1255.webp
    2.4 MB · Views: 300
  • IMG_1254.webp
    IMG_1254.webp
    2.3 MB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1253.webp
    IMG_1253.webp
    2.8 MB · Views: 305
Upvote 0
Very nice collection Creekside ! Before I retired 15 years ago one of my boss' showed me pages and pages of points that he found over the years and I thought it was his remounted points for a better presentation of them and he said NO , that was a picture of his complete collection ! BOY was I surprised ! Back then I never knew anyone that had that many points ! Not even the Native Americans ! :laughing7:
 
Revolving lighted showcase with 10 shelves total of Missouri artifacts. Bought case from an antique store closing in Missouri, found the artifacts walking the fields, creeks, and streams..

tapatalk_1381572127256.artifact.webp
 
Last edited:
Revolving lighted showcase with 10 shelves total of Missouri artifacts. Bought case from an antique store closing in Missouri, found the artifacts walking the fields, creeks, and streams..

View attachment 2211257
Now that is a killer display! The amount of excitement you must have felt finding each of those pieces has to be astronomical.

Great collection! Thanks for sharing!
 
I don't find anything hardstone (I don't think it exists in my area) but if I found that I would have kept it especially if obvious artifacts were found in the same area.
This piece was obvious enough for even a green horn like me to recognize as being something worked at first sighting. After actually holding it and looking it over there was no doubt in my mind it was SOMETHING. I had also later found a few firecracked rocks and a small flake of quartz. I’m green but not dumb lol
 
I’ve never really found any abrading stones. Idk if I’m missing them or we just don’t have any. I have found a couple of Celts, a pendant, hammer stones, net weights, a Gorget and some ugly Hoes. But no abraders
Creekside I’ve found a few..ugly hoes..in my day as well 😉😅

I would love to find a gorget! Judging by your point collection I’d believe you have an awesome collection of other artifacts!
You’ll have to share some photos! Never know who may learn something from them. Help keep some history alive!
 
Creekside I’ve found a few..ugly hoes..in my day as well 😉😅

I would love to find a gorget! Judging by your point collection I’d believe you have an awesome collection of other artifacts!
You’ll have to share some photos! Never know who may learn something from them. Help keep some history alive!
I will share my Gorget and Pendant. Silver one is the unifaced Gorget. I found both in creeks and saw nothing but the holes which made me reach in the water and pull them out.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5286.webp
    IMG_5286.webp
    513.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4353.webp
    IMG_4353.webp
    563.8 KB · Views: 111
Very nice collection Creekside ! Before I retired 15 years ago one of my boss' showed me pages and pages of points that he found over the years and I thought it was his remounted points for a better presentation of them and he said NO , that was a picture of his complete collection ! BOY was I surprised ! Back then I never knew anyone that had that many points ! Not even the Native Americans ! :laughing7:
Those are my best ones I have others like this one
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1181.webp
    IMG_1181.webp
    134.8 KB · Views: 106
Those are my best ones I have others like this one
That is a beautiful point Creekside!!

The Gorget and Pendant probably did stand out. They are fairly distinctive or have little room for interpretation I guess. I’ve never found one but they are way cool!

Now what would the difference be between a Gorget and a Pendant Creekside?
 
Pendant worn around the neck. Just going by what I’ve read but the 3 dimple looking design is for a bear track and would have been worn by a warrior.
The Gorget is a small one. They have a few theories about them. Larger ones 6 inches worn around the neck smaller ones like mine wore in the hair for decoration. The material sparkles in the sunlight and is a type of schist.
 
You may already know the answer, Jelly936. If not, the search engine of your choice might yield a satisfactory answer.
Yes, with access to the internet and AI information on anything is not hard to come by.

Maybe you know a thing or two, perhaps you can share some of your wisdom and knowledge Santa?..
 
Pendant worn around the neck. Just going by what I’ve read but the 3 dimple looking design is for a bear track and would have been worn by a warrior.
The Gorget is a small one. They have a few theories about them. Larger ones 6 inches worn around the neck smaller ones like mine wore in the hair for decoration. The material sparkles in the sunlight and is a type of schist.
That’s interesting. Did they serve any other purpose when worn around the neck? Any form of protection or simply decoration/jewlery?
 
Did they serve any other purpose...
Here we go - another thinly-veiled test of sorts...

....we know what this artifact is now so you and who knows how many in the future can use it as a reference to identify their own finds potentially.

...but we know what this artifact is and can be used by others at the expense of people liking me. I’ll pay that in the name of preserving history.

A true martyr!
 
That’s interesting. Did they serve any other purpose when worn around the neck? Any form of protection or simply decoration/jewlery?
Always new theories coming about but I haven’t heard of anything else except possibly worn around the wrist.
 
Always new theories coming about but I haven’t heard of anything else except possibly worn around the wrist.
True, I’ve seen where they may have worn them on their arm while shooting to prevent being struck by the string. I’ve also seen where they debunk that. Interesting stuff regardless.
 
Last edited:
Here we go - another thinly-veiled test of sorts...



A true martyr!
Do you care to elaborate? Or is the fishing just slow today in Alaska and you feel the need to present yourself into the conversation?
 
Jelly936.

You are indeed doing something great, at your expense, so that others may learn something - maybe calling you a superhero instead would've been more to your liking? I don't need to elaborate on that any further, ok?

Listen, it can be difficult for some to judge someone's tone from plain text - unless the person throws in loads of emojis or shouts by using all uppercase letters in their text- I haven't done any of that. So, when you are reading text in the future, it's best to administer some benefit of doubt rather than thinking a slight has taken place against you. Hopefully you can consider this something you've learned on this forum today!

Hmm, sniffing around my profile/past posts on this forum looking for some sort of angle seems like the use of alto nivel de cringe. Bro, sniff better - I'm clearly not in even Alaska at this time!

Bless-up, be better and, as I said in my first response to you, Peace!
 
Last edited:
Jelly936.

You are indeed doing something great, at your expense, so that others may learn something - maybe calling you a superhero instead would've been more to your liking? I don't need to elaborate on that any further, ok?

Listen, it can be difficult for some to judge someone's tone from plain text - unless the person throws in loads of emojis or shouts by using all uppercase letters in their text- I haven't done any of that. So, when you are reading text in the future, it's best to administer some benefit of doubt rather than thinking a slight has taken place against you. Hopefully you can consider this something you've learned on this forum today!

Hmm, sniffing around my profile/past posts on this forum looking for some sort of angle seems like the use of alto nivel de cringe. Bro, sniff better - I'm clearly not in even Alaska at this time!

Bless-up, be better and, as I said in my first response to you, Peace!
You are a man of tremendous quality of that there is no doubt judging by your reply here. I’ll take what you said and ponder it sufficiently enough to conduct my life in a more positive way. I will look back on the moment that 8_Way_Santa forever altered my life with his words in an online forum about native touched rocks. Thank you and may peace find you in your life as well.

Had you not felt the need to interject yourself back into this conversation between Creekside and I we wouldn’t be having this special moment. You said your piece earlier. Move on. It is starting to seem like you are looking to continue a disagreement. A bit of alto nivel de cringe as some may say.

Yeah I sure did take a gander at your profile and your postings and will continue to do so, unless of course you decide to prevent me from doing so and subsequently rob me of the opportunity to learn and better myself from the wretched depths I dwell in now. With your wisdom being the guiding light down this dark lonely path I stagger down I’m certain I can be salvaged. I might even learn something about some native artifacts.

On a side note you probably shouldn’t post about your extended stays away from your residence on public forums. Information about people’s lives is not difficult at all to obtain, especially when little crumbs get dropped all over social media. A lot of crazy people out there in the world my friend.

In your wise words Santa, Peace.
 
Last edited:
Santa. Let me guess. Did you move to a different state or country?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom