Upvote 0

blaylock

Feb 12, 2013
northeast ms
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first digging tool was a wally world special, broke it on the first hole..lol. ran to local general store and got a new one, lasted about 2 hours into the rest of the day and bent several times. a week later was helping my aunt move and found a rusty old garden spade with a 18 inch handle, cleaned it up and its old but very very strong. LOL should have went and visited her earlier.

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Wilcox All Pro digging trowel that I bought in 1990 when I bought my detector and it is still working fine, have no idea what I paid for it. I use a cheap 2 pocket cotton capenters waist apron with strings that tie in the back that I got at Lowes or Home Depot that I use as my finds pouch. I keep it light as possible so I just carry my detector in one hand, digging tool in the other, and my finds pouch around my waist.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Lesche T Handle Heavy Duty Metal Detecting Shovel $59.95. It's big enough to make digging easier, yet small enough so that it doesn't alarm people who see you metal detecting. I also have owned the Lesche Standard Digging Tool for 12 years. One of the best buys I ever made. I have beat the heck out of it and it's still good as new! However, it sits in the truck now that I own the shovel.
A leather waste pack holds my treasures and trash. H Digs :)

Last edited:

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Gator from Kellyco. It works fine for me. I've had it about three years and it has not failed me in any way. I do sharpen it a bit now and again, but I think you need to do that with most diggers.

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if i were to get a lesche i'd want one actually made by george lesche which is predator tools

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i made my digger out of an old chainsaw bar works great and does't cost anything to make it but a little time and its heavy duty wont bend like the junk you buy out of the store

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
leave it to those wild wonderful west virginians, they can make anything

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Lesche is a nice tool and recommended but it's not the only thing that will work. A good quality garden trowel will work fine also. Just try to get one with a large diameter handle with a flat end if possible. Makes it a lot easier on the palm of your hand in hard packed ground. I use a leather pouch with dividers for tools, finds, and trash for land hunting. The cloth ones just don't hold up in my experience. For the water, I use a freebie from Kellyco that I got with my detector. It's a nylon mesh pouch where the sand will wash through. It also has two finds areas and a trash section. I also carry a backpack with all my other supplies.....batteries, water, sunscreen, etc.

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I first started out, I used a $40 Harbor Freight unit, a shovel. I picked up a HF $15 pinpointer after a few weeks, and swapped the shovel for a trowel.
I carried everything in the front pouch of my hoodie or in pockets of shorts if it was warm enough. I learned a lot, especially from some kind folks here. Over the past 8 or so months, I've upgraded just about everything.

This is my MDing rig just waiting for some ground to thaw.
Equipment: Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett Pro Pointer and a Gator Digger
ALICE Pistol Belt and suspenders with a few pouches, I picked up for next to nothing on ebay. Everything I need clips or holsters onto the belt.

blaylock

Feb 12, 2013
northeast ms
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i made my digger out of an old chainsaw bar works great and does't cost anything to make it but a little time and its heavy duty wont bend like the junk you buy out of the store

wvwildman did you dig up the bar on a previous dig...lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread