What do you do with your deer meat?

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am just starting to expirement with deer meat. Tonight I needed something to cook while I work so I put tenderloin medalions in cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup to slowly cook at a low heat. It doesn't sound very appetizing to me but I needed something simple for them to eat while I am busy.
What are your favorite deer recipies? I've got two deer processed already and I plan on doing 2 to 4 more this year so I need some ideas for all that free meat!!!! :coffee2:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
yes jerky is always good...unfortunately I could not make it fast enough to keep up with all the kids! lol I used to like it just breaded with some salt pepper and garlic then fried but my step son's favorite was when I marinated some strips in jamaiicas mistake salad dressing and used it in stirfry. I bet you could come up with lots of great recipes if you searched online like on allrecipes.com or something. Just google it and take a look at some. Maybe try some crockpot recipes for beef with it if you are wanting something you don't have to stand over while it is cooking?

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
One medium venison roast, one medium beef chuck roast.

Tenderize both with just a fork. Add to crockpot.

Add one can cream of shroom soup and a half soup can water,
5 beef bullion cubes, 1 package shroom gravy mix, cover and
set to "low" all day,,,meaning 10 hours. (the slower you cook
the more tender the meat)

In the last hour, add your favorite mushrooms, preferably sliced.
Meat should be falling apart, shred the meat and remove any bone.

Add another pack (or two) of shroom gravy mix and a cup of water,
you want a thicker gravy.

Serve this on a Sheboygan hardroll or Semmel Roll
( http://www.bratwurstpages.com/bratsides.html )

Add chips and a pickle for the perfect Saturday afternoon lunch.

(you can use just the venison roast, i usually do the two together for
the benefit of other family members)

This is a quick, easy and oh-so sloppy sandwich but well worth the wait. :wink:

bradgny

Dec 6, 2007
cape cod Ma.
Detector(s) used
XLT
Heres one you might want to try ad or subtract any ingredient to taste

Take two large steaks about 1 and 1/2 inch thick
maranate in a mixture of one cup cream 1 cup water 1/2 cup diced onion 2 gloves of fresh garlic minced 1/2 cup of diced jalapinos and 1/2 cup italian dressing for 24 hours. Believe me it wont be the most tastey looking but bare with me.
now after that take one of the steaks and put it in baking pan
Stuffing ....
take a pakage of frozen creamed spinach two carrots and a large potatoe and if you like a portabello mushroom cap large.(are you still following this?)
peel the carrots and potatoe and slice the mushroom capthinly.
now take the peeler and peel the carrots all the way
make a layer of the carrots on the steak
sread about a third of peppers
on top of the carrots thinly sliced of the potatoe
now take the defroasted creamed spinach and spread evenly over the potatoe
another layer of potatoe and carrot
spread a third of peppers
Place the other steak on top of the stack
remainder of peppers
Slice the mushroom and decorate the top with that and maybe some sliced onion and maybe a few carrot sliced thin
Bake at 350 for 55 min.and then switch to broil for 8-10 min for crispy top
I like to sprinkle some shreaded sharp cheese over the whole thing before broiling .

If anyone trys this let me know what you think

Luck Be a Lady

Dec 21, 2007
Arizona & Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 & ACE 250
We have always canned our venison in a pressure cooker in quart and pint jars. Then you can use the meat in many different dishes like stroganoff, chili, BBQ, spaghetti or stir fry. The meat is already fully cooked and VERY tender, leaves out much of the guesswork on how long to cook it. Just add your favorite sauce & veggies and serve it on noodles, rice, biscuits or even toast!

M

MiniMe

Congrats on all the deer. None here this year, unfortunately. I use ground venison just like I would hamburger. Stuffed peppers, spaghetti, chili, burgers.

I always take the loin and cut 1-1/2 to 2 inch medalions. I marinate them overnight in Italian dressing, salt & pepper, couple tablespoons of BBQ sauce and garlic to your taste. Take bacon strips and wrap around each steak, secure with toothpick or skewer and grill.

Venison BBQ is also the greatest but takes a while to do this way. I smoke a whole hind quarter on my smoker, I use hickory or oak wood. When done, take the meat off, shredded it up with forks put in crockpot, add your favorite bbq sauce and 1 cup of water, some garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper and a little brown sugar. cook on low about 3 hours. If you have any left, it freezes good.

And nothing like a venison post roast in the crockpot....Venison roast, 1 package onion soup mix, cut up carrots, potatoes, sliced onions. Add about 2 cups beef broth or water. Cook on low 6 hours.

Jerky is another favorite....when I can get any, cause the kids eat it as fast as your making it. I think I have a recipe on this site for Teriyaky jerky.

Good luck and enjoy that meat, it sure does save a family a lot of money.

S

stefen

Its too bad that decent recipes like this were not available in my youth...

My uncle and dad would can goat and lamb (and occassionaly deer meat) in the fall and used vinegar, garlic and other spices...

I'd come home from school and the whole house stunk so bad that to this day I cannot eat any of it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread