What's new

What do you make of this ?

TxTim

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
2,735
Reaction score
28
Golden Thread
0
Location
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Sure looks like a DD to me - this is not post mint damage.
Has anyone come across one like this before?
 

Attachments

  • 89DD.webp
    89DD.webp
    50 KB · Views: 315
  • closeup.webp
    closeup.webp
    10.4 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0
That looks exactly like zinc cents I find metal detecting after they have had an acid bath. It cleans off the corrosion without harming the copper and leaves indents just like that. Sorry, but my opinion is that it is post mint damage.
 
utah hunter said:
That looks exactly like zinc cents I find metal detecting after they have had an acid bath. It cleans off the corrosion without harming the copper and leaves indents just like that. Sorry, but my opinion is that it is post mint damage.

The nicks where the zinc is exposed are post mint but there is a raised D that was nicked a little next to the other D. Not indented at all.
 
I have seen many of these also with the zink showing. I would have to agree that it is post mint damage.
 
Yeah, post mint.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom