What's new

What do you think?(Colonial Prosthesis)-*Swept-Hilt Rapier Part*

timekiller

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
3,853
Reaction score
966
Golden Thread
1
Location
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this back in 2009.It was at one of my sites that only turns up late 1600's early 1700's finds.Back when I found it I thought it looked strange & was thinking what I still do.(hook hand) :icon_scratch: It's made of solid copper/bronze & is plenty strong enough to lift a 100lbs. or better.It just has that feel to me.You can see in the pics. that it looks like it attached to something and broke.One side is kinda round but the other three sides are squared.Anyone have any thing on colonial hook prosthesis?Now that I've dug it back out I may have to take it to my archaeology guy & see what he says.It be kinda neat if it was.Not something dug much I wouldn't think.I've tried looking colonial ones up with not much luck did find things that sorta support my idea.Just not as old as this piece I found would be.
Input?
Thanks Pete, :hello:


History





Prosthetic toe from ancient Egypt
Prosthetics have been mentioned throughout history. Egyptians were the early pioneers of the idea. Roman bronze crowns have also been found, but their use could have been more aesthetic than medical.[1] The first recorded mention of a prosthetic was done by the historian Herodotus, who tells the story of a Hegistratus, a Persian soldier, who cut off his own foot to escape his captors and replaced it with a wooden one. Pliny the Elder also recorded that a Roman general who had his arm cut off had an iron one made to hold his shield up when he returned to battle. A famous and quite refined[2] historical prosthetic arm was that of Götz von Berlichingen, made in the beginning of the 16th century. Around the same time, François de la Noue is also reported to have had an iron hand, as is, in the 17th century, René-Robert Cavalier de la Salle.[3] During the Dark Ages, prosthetics remained quite basic in form. Debilitated knights would be fitted with prosthetics so they could be fitted with a shield. Only the wealthy were able to afford anything that would assist in daily function. During the Renaissance, prosthetics also underwent a rebirth. Prosthetics development using iron, steel, copper, and wood started. Functional prosthetics began to make an appearance in the 1500s. Gotz von Berlichingen, a German mercenary, developed a pair of iron hands that could be moved by relaxing a series of releases and springs. Record written by an Italian surgeon also notes the existence of amputee who had an arm that allowed him to remove his hat, open his purse, and sign his name. Improvement in amputation surgery and prosthetic design came at the hands of Ambroise Paré. Among his inventions was an above-knee device that was a kneeling peg leg and foot prosthesis that had a fixed position, adjustable harness, and knee lock control. The functionality of his advancements showed what future prosthetics would function
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1173.webp
    IMG_1173.webp
    46.7 KB · Views: 518
  • ss16[1].webp
    ss16[1].webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 502
  • ss15[1].webp
    ss15[1].webp
    27.1 KB · Views: 910
  • ss04[1].webp
    ss04[1].webp
    16.6 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_1178.webp
    IMG_1178.webp
    35.5 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_1177.webp
    IMG_1177.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_1176.webp
    IMG_1176.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_1175.webp
    IMG_1175.webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_1174.webp
    IMG_1174.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 514
Re: What do you think?(Colonial Prosthesis)

That's a big stretch from a piece of bent copper. Could have been anything from a hook for a leather strap to the electrode from a Leyden jar battery.

75px-Dissectible_Leyden_jar.png
 
Upvote 0
Re: What do you think?(Colonial Prosthesis)

Charlie P. (NY) said:
That's a big stretch from a piece of bent copper. Could have been anything from a hook for a leather strap to the electrode from a Leyden jar battery.

75px-Dissectible_Leyden_jar.png
:laughing7: I gotcha,it's hard to understand when I say it's old because it's used so much on here.But it's old and unless it was the very first prototype "Leyden jar battery" ever made I think that can be ruled out for sure. :wink: But I'll admitt I asked for it when I posted so all good. :thumbsup:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Re: What do you think?(Colonial Prosthesis)

I agree. Prosthesis may be a stretch, unfortunately..
 
Upvote 0
Re: What do you think?(Colonial Prosthesis)

Have to agree, its a bit of a stretch
BUT, no clue at this time
Brady
 
Upvote 0
Re: What do you think?(Colonial Prosthesis)

Wonder if it has to do with a tool for weaving nets
Brady
 
Upvote 0
Re: What do you think?(Colonial Prosthesis)

I don't think this topic ever would have been brought back up. :icon_scratch: But just in case I feel I have a answer for it now that I've been back at it studying again.And will conclude that it is most likely part of a 16th/17th century Swept - Hilt rapier . It's one of those things that has bothered me for awhile now knowing it had to be old from the site it came from.The pic. below is of a repro. of just one out the blue.But there are many swept hilt rapier that were made.I picked it because it has a good close up of the squared end that my piece has showing most likely the part it would have been.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
 

Attachments

  • RapierHiltA[1].webp
    RapierHiltA[1].webp
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,035
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom