What's new

What do you think?

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Messages
1,277
Reaction score
1,367
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I walking to second home site the other day, I picked up this rock that just didn't to fit. I have no idea what time period the markings are from, maybe 50- 200 years. As you can see it looks like maybe a H or something else. It was not done by the field of moving stones when plowed, it was scribed in by hand? Let me know what you think if you can see what I see. NT
 

Attachments

  • PA050673.webp
    PA050673.webp
    34.2 KB · Views: 184
  • PA050674.webp
    PA050674.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 174
Might be a grinding stone, depending on the type of mineral that it is made of.
 
Not familiar with your area or the culture. I think those scratches are just that, maybe plow marks. Like I said, I don't know the culture or ways of the old folks in your area, but on the southern plains, in SW Oklahoma particularly, there were a few places where you could find round rocks like these, and they were used as forms for rattles. Wet rawhide was shaped around the stone and allowed to dry, which resulted in a round shape, then the stone was removed. I don't know if that applies in your case, but it sure would have caught my eye and I would have picked it up, too.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom