What's new

What do you use

chip12977

Full Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2012
Messages
113
Reaction score
42
Golden Thread
0
Location
Duncansville,pa
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites PI Dual Field
Fisher f2 - sold
Whites DFX 300 - sold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm getting into water detecting and I'm starting to find out that my trusty sand scoop just doesn't cut it when it comes to dealing with rocks-shale (river bed).
What do you guys/gals use, I was eying up the stealth S720i looks like it could "pick" its way through some rocks, but I don't want to pay $200 for a scoop that's no better than the one I have now
 
Upvote 0
Chip what scoop are you using now?

I have heard good things about the one you made mention of,
seems like the hunters who use that one are happy with it.
 
I use the Stealth8 Classic and love it, a lot of people also like the S720i, many complain about the weight issue, I'm 60 and don't find it to be a problem, Chuck has the Classic on sale for $155 for the month of July..
 
Chip what scoop are you using now?

I have heard good things about the one you made mention of,
seems like the hunters who use that one are happy with it.

Not sure of the name brand, ill take a picture of it next time I'm home and post it. Its about 6" around, 8" deep with wire mesh, steel I guess some would say it is a soft sand scoop?

Anyone else want to chime in, I really would like some ideas pictures and places to order from
 
I've used many different types of scoops and the screen type are for dry sand. I've found the Sunspot Stealth to be the best so far. I am 71 and would like a lighter weight scoop, but the alum ones don't hold up to the use. Stealth beach scoop

Join NRA.webp
 
Different scoops for different environments. I own three, a Stealth Classic, a large RTG, and a an older custom galvanized scoop that I use to use when I was hunting gravel, clay, and rocky bottoms up north (I still use it in the river down here due to all the clay/shell pack).
 
I hope That I'm not steering to far of topic. I just read this post and it made me wonder what some of your best finds where in rivers,creeks and streams. I'm in Pennsylvania, we don't have gold big enough to go after so I'm wondering if it's worth water detecting around here.
 
I hope That I'm not steering to far of topic. I just read this post and it made me wonder what some of your best finds where in rivers,creeks and streams. I'm in Pennsylvania, we don't have gold big enough to go after so I'm wondering if it's worth water detecting around here.

Water detecting here in western pa is good if you can find a swimming hole or beach to hunt.
 
I use the Pro/Stock Scoop with a Beach Brute handle modified to fit. Total weight is 6.85 lb. I am 73 and no problem handling it especiall if there is gold in it. That scoop drains super fast.
 
Scoops have come a long way recently. I also use the Pro/Scoop.... very much like the newer T-Rex by Ron. The 720 was a little long for my purposes. ive used the aluminum w/o the ss tip and for me they rolled and once sand started filling them .... targets were pushed out. Ive got a StavR M9on its way going to try it out.

Dew
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom