What's new

What Has Happened To Halves?

Half-Hound

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
The visible wear on many Barber halves, Walking Liberty halves and Franklin halves testify to their heavy use in daily commerce. But in the last 40 or 50 years I can't remember a single time seeing a (Kennedy) half used by a cashier when giving change, or anyone using one to make a purchase. What has happened to halves?

Half-Hound
 
Upvote 0
Half-Hound said:
Thanks everyone for the information. Many recalled memories of the "good old days." It made me also think of earlier times; like my family's phone number. We were on a party line. Our "number" was 3 longs and 2 shorts. Has anyone else ever been on a party line?

Half-Hound

My grandparents had a party line up until around 1995 when they passed away. I remember calling my parents from it when I would spend a month in the summer at their house and hearing a click. At that point you knew someone was listening in on your conversation. I think my great aunt who lived next door was usually the culprit. If I recall, there were about 5-6 houses on the line.
 
I have started to see movie theaters bringing back the half. Ones I have been at in my home state of Wisconsin and one that I went to here in Missouri give out halfs when you pay to get into the movie. Much easyer to give 1 coin vs 2.
 
I think they were used much more in the early 60's and back. Add in any where they get from being turned into banks and run the coin counters and such.

Golden Silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom