What's new

What is a good way to clean my finds?

GulfSun

Greenie
Joined
Jun 30, 2011
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Florida
Detector(s) used
Viper Trident Hybrid
I was using vinegar plain. Then I was told to use Lemon juice with the vinegar is that correct in cleaning all finds? I can't do electrolisys. So is there another way of cleaning?
 
Google: Clean metal detecting finds.
 
Can't really answer that question with a single answer. One technique works great with one metal, but will totally destroy another.

If you can't or don't want to use electrolysis try citric acid for general cleaning. Look in the phone book for shops that carry home brewing supplies. It's not expensive, is edible so you don't have to worry about kids or pets getting into it & no fumes. Make a solution and soak your item use a tooth brush to loosen the crud as it starts to come off. After you've cleaned the item dry it real good. I've had very good results with Scotts Liquid Gold to coat iron objects to prevent rust coming back. Plus brass llooks real nice with a light coat.

That's just one of the techniques I use to restore items. Do some searches here on TNet. There's tons of posts with good info to get you started.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom