What's new

what is it ?

rush

Full Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2009
Messages
130
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Anyone know what this is and how old it is ? pics1 013 (Small).webpThanks
 
It could be any age - including Victorian

http://tinyurl.com/23e8tks

The Glass Bell Jar is a faithful reproduction of the original, hand made from glass in the traditional way. Bell Jars make a delightful decorative gift and offer very practical uses around the home for food covering, fruit ripening, and over house plants and keepsakes. They can be used for plant protection in and around the garden, providing useful and elegant points of interest.

bell jar.gif

Mike
 

Attachments

  • belljar.webp
    belljar.webp
    9.7 KB · Views: 620
Upvote 0
Or...we used to use something similar in school for killing frogs and mice before dissection.Gruesome i know..but true. :-\
 
Upvote 0
Thank you mine is pretty heavy and can see bubbles and
pony mark any guess on the age ? The top is not round
 
Upvote 0
A better pic will encourage me to search the Net for a more similar Bell Jar, on your behalf ;D
Mike
 
Upvote 0
Thank you coming rite up ! here ya go hope they help!
bell 001 (Small).webpbell 002 (Small).webpbell 003 (Small).webpbell 004 (Small).webpbell 005 (Small).webp
bell 008 (Small).webpbell 009 (Small).webp
Thanks for all your help!
 

Attachments

  • bell 007 (Small).webp
    bell 007 (Small).webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 540
Upvote 0
It looks as if the small end fit into something.
 
Upvote 0
I found something like that when I was a kid at a bottledump. Didnt know what it was until a few years ago when I took it it an antique store specializing in glass Items. It was part of a chandalier that uses candles. Your looks like it could be the center piece part.
Hope this helps.
ksmith
 
Upvote 0
wheelerite said:
I found something like that when I was a kid at a bottledump. Didnt know what it was until a few years ago when I took it it an antique store specializing in glass Items. It was part of a chandalier that uses candles. Your looks like it could be the center piece part.
Hope this helps.
ksmith
I think thats it. May be from a Candle Obra?

candele obra.webpcandle obra globe.webp
 
Upvote 0
Thanks But I don't think it's a candle holder.
It's 6 1/2" tall an 8" wide I was
thinking maybe somekind of insulator.
Thanks again
 
Upvote 0
If the top were open and to me it looks closed.. It could have been a type of fly catcher.
The top is closed, right?
DG
 
Upvote 0
It looks to be a Victorian cloche; ie bell jar often used to keep fruits & cheese fresh, keep moisture in plants, and sometimes used as a candle light. Super find, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Thank you mike and breezie ,
I guess its a glass bell !
Thanks for all the help !
 
Upvote 0
Good on you Breezie :icon_thumleft: and Cheers rush :icon_thumleft:
It is a work of Art :headbang:

Mike
 
Upvote 0
I'm voting for an early gas-flame lamp guard. The central hole would be where the burning flame was at, like the end of a Bunsen burner. The flared glass flange prevented flamable fabrics and paper from making direct contact with the flame. Common before electricity was introduced in the 1880's-1890's.
 
Upvote 0
Tuberale said:
I'm voting for an early gas-flame lamp guard. The central hole would be where the burning flame was at, like the end of a Bunsen burner. The flared glass flange prevented flamable fabrics and paper from making direct contact with the flame. Common before electricity was introduced in the 1880's-1890's.
What central hole? I thought this was solid glass?
 
Upvote 0
It Is solid glass there is no hole and it's
pretty heavy any guess on a date ?
Thank you!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom