What's new

What is it?

roaming mike

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 17, 2007
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this in Central Texas recently. It is thin copper, a bit larger than a dime and about 2/3 as thick, and the only thing I can make out on it is what appears to be a hummingbird with it's wings up, on the front. I have had several people look at it, and the main consensus is that it might be a cut coin used in the 1850s. I showed it to the curator of a Civil War Museum, and he was clueless.
Thanks & HH,
Mike
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0163.webp
    IMG_0163.webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0165.webp
    IMG_0165.webp
    39.8 KB · Views: 410
Looks like a button :-\
 
Upvote 0
a token maybe :-\
 
Upvote 0
Looks like some designs on the back, too
 
Upvote 0
I'd say broken cuff link is a good bet. It looks like something was attached in the center of the back. The hummingbird was a popular Victorian theme.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies so far. Any more suggestions on what it might be? I personally think it's a bit too large for a cuff link, but could be wrong. I know that someone out there has found something similar and was able to identify it.
Isn't this a great hobby? Never know what you might find.
HH,
Mike
 
Upvote 0
BTW, that's a Hexagon shape (6-sides), not to be confused with Piggman1's Octagon-shaped Piggnuts (8-sided). :wink:

Todd
 
Upvote 0
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... (be quiet 'bout piggnutts) don't want 'dose tings round here no mo'......lol.......NGE
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom