Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say its some kind of powder horn or shot horn.

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From looking into trade goods I’ve noticed native Americans really liked to decorate items with brass tacks, as far as what It is, i honestly don’t know but my first impression was same as above powder or shot horn

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You might want to consider contacting the Donald Ellis Gallery located in Dundas, ON at [email protected]

"The Donald Ellis Gallery, is an internationally pre-eminent dealer in the field of historical Native American art, has been serving private collectors, corporations and museums in the United States, Canada and Europe since 1976. The gallery maintains a particular emphasis on the art of the Inuit, Yup’ik, Northwest Coast and Eastern Woodlands cultures. A recognized authority in the field, Donald Ellis has been a regularly featured appraiser of Native American art on the PBS Antiques Roadshow and has also appeared on the BBC and CBC Antiques Roadshows. The gallery has exhibited in the most prominent international art fairs, including Frieze Masters, London, since its inception, the Armory Show, New York, Frieze New York, TEFAF Maastricht and this year TEFAF NEW YORK SPRING 2019. Beyond art fairs, the gallery regularly curates special exhibitions in both the commercial gallery and the museum sector. Donald Ellis Gallery regularly publishes a highly acclaimed catalogue documenting its most recent activities."

Dave

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find jtw!

The spout appears to be seamed copper which hasn't been made for quite some time. The "vessel" part seems to be wood. Both of these facts might support the powder flask concept. I like the costume idea as well.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say its some kind of powder horn or shot horn.

Moroccan.

morrocan powder flasks.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread