What is Stabilized Turquoise?

C

Cappy Z.

Again, I am no expert. My research has come up with a pretty standardized definition and eye opening 'awareness' of what so called 'Stabilized Turquoise' really is.

Folks, companies actually take the lesser quality 'crumbs' of turquoise processing and 'glue' it together in various sized amalgams and then sell it as "this is NOT rough" this is Stabilized Turquoise.

IF you attempt to grind etc. this stabilized amalgam the glue resin starts to heat up and the lump of junk (lol) begins to fall apart.

Yes, many 'stones' of stabilized turquoise are set in nice settings and look beautiful. But it should be marketed as 'Frankenstein Turquoise'.

Get the picture?

Bink29

Aug 11, 2009
Kingman, Az.
Here is some info I have found in my research:

the Silvery Colorado River Rock Club offers these instructions:
If you would like to try your luck at stabilizing a porous stone such as turquoise so it can be cut and polished,
Take a jar with a lid; add one pint of acetone. To this, add the complete contents of both the resin and the hardener tubes of epoxy glue, mixing well. Add well-dried stones, cover the jar, and let remain for at least four days.

Remove stones and allow a week for them to dry. They should now be stabilized and ready for working.

This is how I have done it (as above) I use 2 hr epoxy and a pint of acetone. in a glass jar. I leave it in for a week and swirl mixture every day. set out to dry in sun for a week. I do this with all types of stones. To fill voids, fill holes and glue on findings I use 330 lapidary epoxy because it dries clear.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Bink29 said:
Here is some info I have found in my research:

the Silvery Colorado River Rock Club offers these instructions:
If you would like to try your luck at stabilizing a porous stone such as turquoise so it can be cut and polished,
Take a jar with a lid; add one pint of acetone. To this, add the complete contents of both the resin and the hardener tubes of epoxy glue, mixing well. Add well-dried stones, cover the jar, and let remain for at least four days.

Remove stones and allow a week for them to dry. They should now be stabilized and ready for working.

This is how I have done it (as above) I use 2 hr epoxy and a pint of acetone. in a glass jar. I leave it in for a week and swirl mixture every day. set out to dry in sun for a week. I do this with all types of stones. To fill voids, fill holes and glue on findings I use 330 lapidary epoxy because it dries clear.

Well well well. It appears old 'Bink' has been holding out on us. He obviously has been working his lapidary skills for some time....I think it's time you Mr. Bink start posting some of your work.....
:wink:

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the particle board of gem stones. bits and pieces glued together, makes it look good.--- worthless bit of trickery.

Upvote 0

Bink29

Aug 11, 2009
Kingman, Az.
Well well well. It appears old 'Bink' has been holding out on us. He obviously has been working his lapidary skills for some time....I think it's time you Mr. Bink start posting some of your work.....

Lapidary skills...LOL... not me. We found some tourquoise in the desert and was looking at ways to stabilize it. Maybe one of these days I will get into it a little more, but for now I will leave it to you professionals Cappy.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread