What's new

What is the definition of" Uncirculated"

forgetaboudit

Full Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2014
Messages
133
Reaction score
67
Golden Thread
0
Location
Milwaukee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, but I can't seem to find out how to classify coins as uncirculated. My book of values groups coins in circulated (au-50, xf-40, vf-20, f-12, vg-8, and g-4). Uncirculated (ms-60, ms-65). Also proofs (prf-65). I'm sorry I'm a noob, but I'd like to know the difference between circulated, uncirculated, and proofs.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
 
Simple. Coins that have not been exchanged from one person to another in commerce. For example, I just got a roll of 2014 cents from the bank. I would consider these coins "uncirculated" because they have never been used to buy anything.
 
So they look like they just came off the press?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
 
So they look like they just came off the press?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Not necessarily. They minted a LOT of Morgans that remained uncirculated but got all banged up pounding against eadh other in the mint bags and at reserve banks where the bags were handled.
 
I don't understand how you know if they were uncirculated :dontknow:

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
 
So I should look for a book for descriptions on how to tell if a coin is uncirculated? Figured I'd get an answer here.
 
Any sign of wear, or rub on the coin takes it out of the uncirculated grades. Dull areas, where the mint luster is missing, on the high points of the coin are the first signs of wear. Proof is not a condition, but a different type of minting, proof coins are specially struck on specially prepared planchets , handled differently, made especially for collectors.
 
Any sign of wear, or rub on the coin takes it out of the uncirculated grades. Dull areas, where the mint luster is missing, on the high points of the coin are the first signs of wear. Proof is not a condition, but a different type of minting, proof coins are specially struck on specially prepared planchets , handled differently, made especially for collectors.
^^^^ This. A coin can be free of nicks & scratches from being in contact with eachother but have minor wear on the high spots and It's no longer uncirculated because it's worn. But on the flip side a coin can have bag marks and scratches but zero wear and it is uncirculated. This is wht there are different grades for uncirculated coins. Clear as mud huh ?
 
So they look like they just came off the press?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

IMO Yes & no

yes they need to look like they just came off the press,
(bag marks are permitted)
But they need to come straight from the bank or mint imo

again this is just My opinion. but if someone just came from the store with a penny direct from the bank,
and dropped it, & you picked it up, it is no longer uncirculated in my book.
not because it was dropped, but because someone other then the bank & store
touched it before you/me

Circulation starts with the first person who gets it & passes it on.

of course because this is almost impossible to prove,
there are other rules others go by :(

but AU is the best I would consider any coin unless sealed in a Mint set
 
Last edited:
I appreciate all the replies! It still is hard to understand exactly, but I get the gist of it. Like one guy said, "clear as mud".

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
 
un circulated means
never left the bank
found in drawer
I don't know one of the above statement other than mine
 
Try PCGS photograde. You can look at it on the internet, or get the app.
Hope this helps!
 
It means the girl you just asked out is very ugly or very young. :laughing7:
 
The Official Red Book, ( A guide book of United States Coins), describes uncirculated as follows;
MS60= a coin that has no trace of wear, but which may show a number of contact marks, and whose surface may be spotted or lack some luster.
MS60 is the lowest grade of an uncirculated coin. Grades of coins determine value as does rarity. The Red Book is published yearly and available for under $20. Good luck...
Peace
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom