What's new

What is the oldest manufactured thing you own?

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
5,249
Reaction score
1,102
Golden Thread
1
Location
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I am curious, what man-made things do you own that are very old?

It does not need to be a metal detecting find or coin.

This Quarter Stuiver, or Oord was eyeballed in front of a church in Europe next to a tree. It was minted in 1573 when King Philip II of Spain ruled over much of Europe.

1573Obverse.webp1573Reverse.webp

Show your oldies!!
 
My underwear. Got about a quarter inch of elastic left, way too tight and definitely not currently in style, but, they're my lucky ones! WAY older than any coin i've found. Gee, maybe I should start spending more time out in the field :)
 
A "Manuel I Comnenus" tetarteron (1143-1180), a Byzantine coin that I found on the shores of the sea of Marmara, in Western Turkey in 1967.

And a resharpened "pinetree" point, found on the banks of the Ohio river.
 

Attachments

  • byz5.webp
    byz5.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 463
  • Copy of pinetree.webp
    Copy of pinetree.webp
    10.2 KB · Views: 496
aside from the collectable coins,,,1878 morgan dollar,, I have a ww II little bomb. they used to drop outa planes by the thousands, in hope to hitting the ground troops circa 1943. and a singer featherweight ,sewing machine 1948. My dads old shotgun, probably 1930's.
 
A book I own, A Pictorial History of Greece printed in 1850.


Aside from that, pretty much everything I own was manufactured in the 20th century. This is an interesting question, though. It's something not really thought about and the implications of everyone's answers are truely revealing.

Again, an interesting question; I like.
 
njnydigger said:
My underwear. Got about a quarter inch of elastic left, way too tight and definitely not currently in style, but, they're my lucky ones! WAY older than any coin i've found. Gee, maybe I should start spending more time out in the field :)

LOL :thumbsup:
 
I have one of these, but it's in worse condition than the one pictured. Bought in London for a pound. Notes from website http://esty.ancients.info/numis/inexp.html

"A small coin (15mm diameter) of Honorius (western Roman emperor, 393-423 AD) struck in 402 AD. It celebrates the elevation of the one- or two-year-old (!) Theodosius II (reigned 402-450 AD) to co-rulership (with Arcadius) of the eastern half of the empire. The smaller Theodosius stands on the reverse between his elder colleagues.
Obverse legend: DN HONORIVS [PF AVG]
Reverse legend: GLORIA ROMANORVM
Mint mark: SMKA (Sacra Moneta Kyzicus A), sacred money of the Cyzicus (in Turkey) mint, workshop A. Another very historical coin costing about $20-$35. "
 

Attachments

  • honorius coin.webp
    honorius coin.webp
    7.1 KB · Views: 426
Cool stuff, guys!!

Thanks for not posting a picture with your reply, njnydigger! ;D
 
Maybe a .22 Stevens rifle circa 1905.
Also have the Sears and Roebuck catalog pic with the advertisement for it at $4.95.

Uncle won it at a card game in 1950s.

Grey
 
:icon_thumright: the Redhead said to tell you all the oldest thing she has is me....... :o
 
I have some sort of Bible or religious text (in German) from the 1600s on my bookshelf.
 
Guess mine would be several perfect guilford points I have found in a field by my house. Took them to an expert on artifacts and he told me they dated to around 4000-6000BC!!!
 
njnydigger said:
My underwear. Got about a quarter inch of elastic left, way too tight and definitely not currently in style, but, they're my lucky ones! WAY older than any coin i've found. Gee, maybe I should start spending more time out in the field :)

You took my idea of my oldest items. :laughing7:
 
Wow !

Sacred money of the Cizicus... I just don't have anything like that...

When I saw the post title I thought of the draw knives I've got... some are from maybe the 1850's.
I use them periodically.
 
Michaelangelo said:
Guess mine would be several perfect guilford points I have found in a field by my house. Took them to an expert on artifacts and he told me they dated to around 4000-6000BC!!!
Any chance of seeing some pics of the points, Please.
You will help educate me - :read2: :thumbsup:
Mike
 
trikikiwi said:
Michaelangelo said:
Guess mine would be several perfect guilford points I have found in a field by my house. Took them to an expert on artifacts and he told me they dated to around 4000-6000BC!!!
Any chance of seeing some pics of the points, Please.
You will help educate me - :read2: :thumbsup:
Mike

I Second that!!
 
sasnz said:
trikikiwi said:
Michaelangelo said:
Guess mine would be several perfect guilford points I have found in a field by my house. Took them to an expert on artifacts and he told me they dated to around 4000-6000BC!!!
Any chance of seeing some pics of the points, Please.
You will help educate me - :read2: :thumbsup:
Mike

I Second that!!

I third that!
 
Here's a picture of all the more intact Guilford Points my wife and I have found in the field adjacent to my house. I took them to The Natural Science Center to find out more about them and the resident artifact expert gave me the age. I was thinking American Indian, maybe a few hundred years old, and when he told me they dated to 4000-6000BC almost dropped my teeth!!
Found this on Google
"The Guilford point dates to the Middle Archaic period, 4200 to 3500 BCE. Coe (1964) dates this point to around 4000 BCE based on radiocarbon dates obtained from the Gaston Site in North Carolina."
 

Attachments

  • Picture 033.webp
    Picture 033.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 228
Awesome :o
If only they could talk!!
Thanks for taking the trouble to post them Michaelangelo :notworthy:

Mike
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom