What's new

what is this??

texan connection

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2006
Messages
4,565
Reaction score
79
Golden Thread
0
Location
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
garage sale find, what does it mean??? 2 volumes, a old German estate find. any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • DSCN2434.webp
    DSCN2434.webp
    78.4 KB · Views: 450
  • DSCN2435.webp
    DSCN2435.webp
    108.6 KB · Views: 451
soo what is it? a German history of WW1?
 
Upvote 0
TEXAN Connection said:
soo what is it? a German history of WW1?

Yes, from what I gather it is a chronological history of WWI.
 
Upvote 0
interesting Indeed, thank you. certainly worth what I paid, just cant read German,, especially considering the possible political leaning it might have,,,
 
Upvote 0
Bet you can't find the name "Hitler"! :laughing9:

Seriously, as you can't read it you should tote it around a couple of rare bookshops, see what they say. Ya never know.
 
Upvote 0
Fantastic find! I'm sure collectors and historians alike would love it! There's a lot of interest in items from "The Great War", and the German side is something people rarely hear about in detail......

I wish I still knew German, it's all my great grandparents spoke at home, but it's been thirty four long years since they passed and I can barely remember any of it.
 
Upvote 0
Hi,

from what i can read from the pictures

Kriegschronik = war chronicle

preis 20 pfg = price: 20 reichspfennig, "empire penny" :-)

Lieferung 10= 10th issue

Druck und verlag von= printing and publishing by ....

Herausgegeben= re-published

(German is teached at school here)

I know that doesn't help you out much for the rest of the text :-)
However, i can tell you, the writing/font is called 'Fraktur' ('broken') or Gothic in German , but it's not in use anymore since the second world war (because of the connotation etc.). They started to use it in medieval times when they started to use printingpresses, because that font was quite similar to a written text, and they wanted it to be similar.

It looks like a nice collection, and I would keep them as a whole.

Have a nice weekend
 
Upvote 0
If you go to Google, and find the Google Translator, you can translate modest quantities of other languages. I am not sure of the German letters, though almost all characters are available by one means or another.

I don't know if scanners using OCR in Windows can be set up for German or not, though in Linux I would take it for granted.

I do know I copied some stuff from Russian, I think it was, a while back to the Translator and it gave me the English equivalent. It takes practice to decipher it, because the translator tends to be literal word by word, and with practice one can understand what they actually mean, in most cases.
 
Upvote 0
Dang you mean you can't read German? Oh, I forgot, you're a Texan. Heck I am still trying to speak and understand Texan since my daughter moved there several years ago. :wink: Just kidding, very interesting stuff. Monty
 
Upvote 0
:read2: Monty,

Central Texas is full of towns Germans founded. There's Bergheim, Boerne,
Bracken, Blumenthal, Fredricksburg, Flugrath, Kreutzberg, Luckenbach, New Braunfels and more. My favorite is Windthorst in Archer County.

:( Germans don't lose coins or anything else for that matter.

;D Native Americans don't either.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom