What's new

What kind of metal???

jtw1313

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
3,728
Reaction score
2,099
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had this around and decided to test it for fun......this metal is non magnetic and 10-18k test acid does nothing to the mark on the stone only 22k eats it but still very slowly......any guess of what the metal is? Acid in pic is 18 k 10 min no change
 
I would think if it were gold the back would be polished also. I'm leaning toward 316 Stainless steel or another product with a high nickel
content. Can you test and state the weight per unit of volume, "density".

But none the less a very beautiful piece. How big is it?
 
Upvote 0
Sorry I forgot size photo

..........
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Alum... or pot metal.
 
Upvote 0
Acid won’t eat either of those?
 
Upvote 0
The back really looks like cast aluminum and that would take a polish like you see on the front.
 
Upvote 0
Actually I will tell you... there exists variations of a "mystery metal"...

Resembles what you have but streaks like white gold / silver... and acid makes it like grey out.

There are variations of this mystery metal... and let me tell you... there are serious expert mentors who handle tons of various metals,,, who when asked have no clue what it is or even care.... we end it with... "mystery metal".
 
Upvote 0
I will add...

Stainless does not burn on 10 14 or 18
 
Upvote 0
Ha that reminded me of backwoods bob......oh the good ole days lmao
 
Upvote 0
Probably stainless lol
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom