What's new

✅ SOLVED What kind of metal

Nathan W

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2023
Messages
3,453
Reaction score
10,833
Golden Thread
0
I didn't know a spoon could rust that heavily . This looks hand forged to me. I sandpapered it a bit to see what was underneath. Can other metals rust? This was found near the pit mines behind the old church if that helps with metal type.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3518.webp
    IMG_3518.webp
    658.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3552.webp
    IMG_3552.webp
    679 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3551.webp
    IMG_3551.webp
    612.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Steel/tin will be what you have.
Though I have dug some pretty good stuff at the same sites where I have dug these.
Usually all tablespoons also.
 
Upvote 1
Steel/tin will be what you have.
Though I have dug some pretty good stuff at the same sites where I have dug these.
Usually all tablespoons also.
Thanks pepper, I'm still learning here and there
 
Upvote 1
Thanks pepper, I'm still learning here and there
In thinking about this a tad more, and what has been dug up it seems only a few complete spoons (iron).
Quite a few bowls (as what you have).
I haven't dug many handles though, and I think they get discriminated out, where as the bowls ring up nicely at times. (must be due to the shape of them)
 
Upvote 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom