IMG_7870.JPG
    970.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7872.JPG
    IMG_7872.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 45

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Red Jade, though uncommon, is a distinct possibility. The Red Jasper is also possible. I am leaning toward Jade, primarily due to color. Different lighting could change my mind. When you rub the item with your fingers, please describe the texture. The answer to this question may effectively answer yours.

Past time for more coffee.

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Jade, both nephrite and jadeite, when polished, have what some describe as a waxy feel. This may be what you describe as greasy. Most forms of red jasper feel no different than a polished agate, chalcedony, or any other quartz based rock.

Without personally examining your stone, or other additional evidence, I will be on the side of jade.

Time for more coffee.

Upvote 0

Itsmine

Apr 14, 2012
New Lenox, Il.
Detector(s) used
Garrets Coin Comander 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the hardness scale Jadite comes in at 6 to 6.5, which puts it right below quartz. If A knife won't scratch it, and it WILL scratch glass, I concur with galenrog....red jadite...

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jadeite is the toughest natural substance (not hardest). It's almost impossible to break solid Jadeite with an impact. Hit the piece vigorously with a hammer and if it breaks it's not Jadetite it's just one of the many forms of cryptocrystalline quartz.

OK I'm just kidding, don't hit your piece with a hammer. It's true that if it's jadeite it's very unlikely to break but since your piece is 100% quartz you will break it if you hit it with the hammer.

Red Jadeite looks nothing like the carving you show. It's not even a dyed Jade.

Jadeite and Nephrite are entirely different unrelated stones. Their only relationship is in peoples minds.

Nephrite does not have a red variety. Nephrite is much more common and less expensive than Jadeite of the same quality.

Your red stone is almost certainly Jasper which is just the common name for red colored Chalcedony. Which "Can scratch glass and knife won't even put a dent in it".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This guy cranks these out by the case. Examples I'm finding are all colorful but cheap rocks.
Not seeing Jade on this trinket ...

Cats 4.jpg

Jasper.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread