What kind of water do you think The people of the 1830 's 1840's Drank

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my opinion, as long as there was moving water, they drank from it. Stream, river, creek, and spring. They normally wouldn't use standing water for drinking. Unless it was in a rain barrel or brought from a moving body of water. Theory was, moving water was less likely to get you sick.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion, as long as there was moving water, they drank from it. Stream, river, creek, and spring. They normally wouldn't use standing water for drinking. Unless it was in a rain barrel or brought from a moving body of water. Theory was, moving water was less likely to get you sick.
Thank you sibbley what you say makes sense :)

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think they would drink Creek , Stream ? If they were looking for a camping place. I think they would want a flat place with spring water. I am trying to find places where they would camp while building the canal locks
ANY HELP sure would be appreciated :)
creek water :dontknow:

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Yes. Springs would be top choice and as close to the source as possible.
In sandy areas, filter pits could be dug if the water table was high enough. Sand is a great filter, ala sand points.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think they would drink Creek , Stream ? If they were looking for a camping place. I think they would want a flat place with spring water. I am trying to find places where they would camp while building the canal locks
ANY HELP sure would be appreciated :)
Gare, I’d think they would set up a labor camp as close to the work as possible. Someone would be assigned the chore of fetching water for the entire camp if need be, probably using a wagon and barrels. Getting out of the wind is a plus if it wasn’t too far from the work. Wind wrecks havoc with canvas tents.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the last 30+ Years I've stopped by this spring on Monarch Pass to fill a jug. I've wondered how long people have been getting water here. Sometimes I don't stop because others are there filling up several of those water cooler jugs full and I don't have time to wait. It's so good and best during the spring. All along most historic overland trails and others old maps you'll often see where good water has been pinpointed.

Attachments

• 20201123_050950.jpg
    20201123_050950.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20201123_051238.jpg
    20201123_051238.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20201123_051049.jpg
    20201123_051049.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Springs would be top choice and as close to the source as possible.
In sandy areas, filter pits could be dug if the water table was high enough. Sand is a great filter, ala sand points.
Some mighty good spring water can be found in your neck of the woods there Blackfoot58. In the back of this cave me and my grandad would go and have a drink of that clear refreshing spring water straight from where it poured out of the rock. I need to take a sentimental trip back that way sometime.

Attachments

• 54aff45334efc.image.jpg
    54aff45334efc.image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 29

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Some mighty good spring water can be found in your neck of the woods there Blackfoot58. In the back of this cave me and my grandad would go and have a drink of that clear refreshing spring water straight from where it poured out of the rock. I need to take a sentimental trip back that way sometime.
I remember a rural, roadside spring northwest of Muscatine. A lot of cars stopped on any given day. Always cool and fresh. It eventually stopped. It nay have been capped.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember a rural, roadside spring northwest of Muscatine. A lot of cars stopped on any given day. Always cool and fresh. It eventually stopped. It nay have been capped.
I'm pretty sure civilization drops the water table. Some of the rivers I walked as a kid are nothing but creeks now, and some of the creeks are just scattered puddles. Some of the springs I knew that used to be wet all the time started being wet only during rainy season, and now some of them don't get wet at all anymore.

creekcrawler

Aug 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gare.
Those canal builders were probably drinking right out of the Cuyahoga or Tuscaroras Rivers since the
canal ran right along side them.
I'd guess work camps were scattered along the canal near the lock construction.
Not sure if there would be much to find. Canal workers were mostly struggling immigrants.
I'd concentrate on the higher traffic areas around the locks, but all those up by us are on National Park
land so you can't touch it.

no2pencil

Nov 15, 2023
Fort Lauderdale FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
PI King underwater hand held
In Saint Augustine there is a limestone rock that is used as an example of filtration from probably a few hundred years before the time that you're asking specifically.

"Old water filter at Oldest House, St. Augustine, FL

Horribly filthy water poured into it dripped through the limestone to become
pure, pretty water. This primitive water filter is in fact just as efficient as the
most elaborate and often beautifully ornamented factory ceramic water filters
used in households in the old days. It's the limestone that does the job."

Attachments

• 2023-12-11-12:56:49.png
    2023-12-11-12:56:49.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i HAVE BEEN ABSENT FROM HERE FOR A WHILE. Me and my wife have had Covid and it is really a set back. I thank you all for your input. I do appreciate it . Hopefully we will come out of this soon. Thanks all "_

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know about your part of the country, but my ancestors in that time period had homeplaces set up in the Indian Nations and one of the first things they did would get a well dug pretty quick. They would draw water from springs, but for some reason they said they mostly avoided the water from rivers or creeks.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't know about your part of the country, but my ancestors in that time period had homeplaces set up in the Indian Nations and one of the first things they did would get a well dug pretty quick. They would draw water from springs, but for some reason they said they mostly avoided the water from rivers or creeks.

Rivers and creeks generally have a beaver or two hanging around, and giardia is wicked stuff. Dig a well so it gets filtered through all the natural sand and charcoals and it's safe to drink.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i HAVE BEEN ABSENT FROM HERE FOR A WHILE. Me and my wife have had Covid and it is really a set back. I thank you all for your input. I do appreciate it . Hopefully we will come out of this soon. Thanks all "_
Hope your wife and yourself are on the mend. Drink plenty of that clean water!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I think back then, with lots of contaminated water everywhere people preferred to drink whisky and beer. If you don't think so just watch a few episodes of Gun Smoke.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread