East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2008268
Picture was taken of the ceiling of a sandstone overhang in north central
Alabama.
Either an Alabama turkey walking upside down or erosion. Have you got another picture showing the full overhang including floor? Whatever water/stream that eroded the bottom half of overhang away likely left that. But that is just an opinion from one snapshot of a section of the ceiling. Need more of an overview of the rock house to determine. Thanks for posting though.

You must be somewhere in general vicinity of Sand Mountain.

OP
OP
B

Billco

Oct 8, 2007
Alabama
Either an Alabama turkey walking upside down or erosion. Have you got another picture showing the full overhang including floor? Whatever water/stream that eroded the bottom half of overhang away likely left that. But that is just an opinion from one snapshot of a section of the ceiling. Need more of an overview of the rock house to determine. Thanks for posting though.

You must be somewhere in general vicinity of Sand Mountain.
Pictures of cliifs from a distance. There is no water drips there, but there could have been at some time. It's Rock Mountain on the western edge of Jefferson County.

Attachments

• rock-mountain-cliffs-from-bottom.jpg
    rock-mountain-cliffs-from-bottom.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 67

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures of cliifs from a distance. There is no water drips there, but there could have been at some time. It's Rock Mountain on the western edge of Jefferson County.
Nice formation. I will still go with erosion, and you are correct. No water now btu there could have been and likely was a lot in by gone days. I may be wrong. I am just making a guess based on what I see around here. I have a huge sandstone rock house down behind my house in the woods. Bee4n meaning to dig it for several years but not done it yet. I think I will this year. Thanks for sharing the pictures. My Dad's folks were from down around Birmingham.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coon hunted Sand Mt. Won the N. Alabama championship, qualified me for the World.
Lot of sand stone, and American Indian signs; ie; Granny Dollar. Funny read. Sand & Lookout MT's.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coon hunted Sand Mt. Won the N. Alabama championship, qualified me for the World.
Lot of sand stone, and American Indian signs; ie; Granny Dollar. Funny read. Sand & Lookout MT's.
Read a book once. Salvation On Sand Mountain. It was about a snake handling preacher on Sand Mountain that tried to kill his wife by holding her hand in a rattlesnake cage to get her snake bit. Back in early 90s. The guy that wrote the book about it travelled around the snake handling circuit to try to understand that faith. Was a real interesting read. One of the side jobs I used to have for the corporation I worked for was to buy coal. One of the places the guy that wrote the book went to snake handling service was Jolo, West Virginia. I been through there. didn't stop to handle any snakes though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread