What Metal

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Minelab Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB
Killing two birds with one stone (no pun intended) as i am wrestling with my photo imaging trying to get the pic size down. Found this item in a sandy field in coastal SC a few years ago. It does not attract to a magnet. It is very hard and very heavy. I bumped it against a grinder to see the metal under the crust. Scratching it on unglazed tile produces a grey streak. My only thoughts are silver or nickel due to the weight and hardness.

Attachments

• meteorwrong2.jpg
    meteorwrong2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 306

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Not metallic that I can see.

Heavy does not equate to meteorite, heaviness helps. If not metallic, then not lodestone or magnetite, which often has a natural magnetic signature by itself. Might be monzanite (a rare-earth ore).

OP
OP
Digger54

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tuberale said:

Heavy does not equate to meteorite, heaviness helps. If not metallic, then not lodestone or magnetite, which often has a natural magnetic signature by itself. Might be monzanite (a rare-earth ore).

When I first detected it down about eight inches in sandy soil with my metal detector, I thought it was a cannon ball frag since I was in an area that saw action. It had the weight of a chunk of iron, but lacked the heavy rust that is found on cannon ball fragments. I was rather surprised that it did not attract to a magnet as I was sure it was iron.

I suppose my next step should be send it somewhere to be tested to see what it is. Recommendations?

OP
OP
Digger54

Digger54

Dec 6, 2010
Detector(s) used
Digger54 said:
Tuberale said:

When I first detected it down about eight inches in sandy soil with my metal detector, I thought it was a cannon ball frag since I was in an area that saw action. It had the weight of a chunk of iron, but lacked the heavy rust that is found on cannon ball fragments. I was rather surprised that it did not attract to a magnet as I was sure it was iron.

I suppose my next step should be send it somewhere to be tested to see what it is. Recommendations?

Not sure if this helps, but it consistently reads between 20 - 22 on my F75 ltd.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread