What's new

What pinpointer to buy?

soldier35

Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2009
Messages
52
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
1
Location
Northwest Ohio
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab ExplorerII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for a pinpointer and recommendations? Any help would be appreciated.
 
Hi, From what I've heard here it must be the Garrett Pro Pointer. I just ordered one. mike
 
I love my Garrett Pro-Pointer!
The Pro-Pointer is made of one solid piece, there is no chance of breaking the probe off like some other pin pointers.
There is just one simple button that you push, its like a Maglite flash lite button. You don't have to do any tuning, you
just push the rubber button once to turn it on and again to turn it off. It is water resistint so you can wash it off under
running water, Garrett recommends you cover the speaker hole with a finger when doing this. It takes one nine volt
battery that you just drop in under the screw on battery cover "you must orient the battery correctly before dropping it in".
It also has a built in LED flash lite that could be useful in dark situations. When you hold it you can tell how sturdy it is
there is no chance of bending or breaking it under normal use. It detects along the whole length of the probe from about
the power button to the tip. Sometimes when I detect a coin close to the surface I just scan the ground with the side
of the probe until I find the coin then I use the tip to pinpoint it. It makes a beeping sound that gets faster as you get
closer then turns to a steady tone when you are right on it, it also makes a buzzing vibration you can feel.
I have also used it many times as a stud finder, you scan with the side to locate the general location of the nail or screw
then you use the tip to pinpoint it, it works great. When I ordered mine it came with some nice extras like a plastic digging
tool, coin probe and a Garrett pouch. I lost my battery cap while trying to change the battery on a bridge over a small stream
and Garrett sent me a new one for free. I like it a lot and I'm sure you would be happy with it just don't waste your money
on a bounty hunter pin pointer they are not very good.
Joe
 

Attachments

  • pinpointer.webp
    pinpointer.webp
    31.5 KB · Views: 172
You would do well to check out the Sun Ray probes. If they make one for your machine take a very close look at it.
 
The cheapest but still a good one is the Centech fro Harbor Freight $16-$17. The Whites BullsEye I and II are good. I did not like the Sunray in line probe with my Whites PI Pro. The DetectorPro worked well but not my style. The new Garrets looks very promising about $89 best price. I also had a Automax V4 as a freebee from Kellyco with a detector order. I thought it was too big, but like most pinpointers it would do the job. Tried the Treasure Mate too, thought it was a little hard to use. I could never know if it was adjusted right.

Ed D.
 
Another vote for the Garrett ProPointer. I picked one up at my local hobby store for $130 (they price matched the online price). It is an awesome pinpointer. Wolcottdigger did an excellent job of running down the specs and usage so I will leave it at that. From my research the ProPointer stuck out as being the best value and performing pinpointer available. You won't be disappointed.

I've also picked up the $14.95 Harbor Freight model at my local store based on recommendations from others. I haven't tried it yet in the field but it works just fine around the house. I'm taking it on vacation with me to Tampa this next week so I'm hoping for good results. But if it gets stolen or broken I'm not going to worry too much about it.

For the money the Harbor Freight model just can't be beat. But for value and performance I'd be looking at the Garrett ProPointer. It's downright awesome! Plus, Kellyco has it available online right now for $127 and it comes with a digger, coin probe, pouch, and a couple of books/pamphlets. You can't beat that deal!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom