What should I do with my Copper?

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
I currently have around 60 pounds of copper as of now, more being put in pile since I just got 2 boxes. I was wondering what people on here think I should do with them. I was thinking about putting them in 10 - 20 pound sales on ebay and just selling them that way. But I'm not 100% sure on how to ship or how to even do the process... Suggestions again would be helpful :) Thanks

Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is that - about $100 face, right? I would try to get $150 on Craig's List (won't get eaten up by fees) and start buying some halves, my friend. That is where the $ is. I like to search pennies, too, but I do it mainly to keep from going through withdrawals when my half dollar orders fall through lol. :)

OP
OP
C

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
What I meant on that whole deal was if I do start selling, not sure about shipping or where to sell for best deals, I would buy a ryedale to help make money faster..

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you are going to start shipping, I would figure out how many pounds fits in one of those "if it fits, it ships" boxes at the post office, and then base your sales and shipping costs off of that.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
$100 dollars face is 68 pounds. This is perfect as you can ship in a medium flat rate box for about $11.00.

If you are looking at the Ryedale, look at eBay. Andy (the guy who makes them) listed some on there that are much cheaper than buying off the Ryedale website. I purchased one before Christmas and saved nearly $50 had I bought from his site.

MU

atom12

Greenie
Aug 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, EBay is a ripoff!!! I made a computer controlled penny sorter for my son so he can make some cash. But eBay fees are $20 plus $11 S&H for selling $100FV which eats into the profits super fast!!!

Just to pay for the rydale I calculate you'd need to sort and sell 221 boxes of penny's. I can get on average 1.5 boxes per visit to a bank so thats 148 bank visits.

If you want to make $$$ selling, I'd suggest its more cost effective to sell and wait for hyper inflation.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buys pennies.

Sorts pennies.

Falls asleep after every roll.

Does not have plan to sell them.

? ? ? ? ?

Profit.

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put a 5 gallon bucket of copper pennies on craigslist and started getting responses pretty quickly. Guy is picking them up Tuesday.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
$100 dollars face is 68 pounds. This is perfect as you can ship in a medium flat rate box for about $11.00.

If you are looking at the Ryedale, look at eBay. Andy (the guy who makes them) listed some on there that are much cheaper than buying off the Ryedale website. I purchased one before Christmas and saved nearly $50 had I bought from his site.

MU

MU? I thought you were dead...

Glad to see you back.

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to pay for the rydale I calculate you'd need to sort and sell 221 boxes of penny's. I can get on average 1.5 boxes per visit to a bank so thats 148 bank visits.

If you want to make $$$ selling, I'd suggest its more cost effective to sell and wait for hyper inflation.

Your calculations were quite different from mine but what it comes down to is what % of each box is the good ol copper pennies you are looking for.

Heres how it went for me:

Ryedale with hopper, extra wheel, dime wheel and 20 canvas bank bags (old school) =$335 from Andy this last summer.

If you sell $100FV at $150 after all fees then you have $50 profit.

$50(profit) x 7(bags of $100 FV coppers) = $350 profit after you subtract your initial $700 investment - this will cover the Ryedale purchase.

I'm currently averaging about 30% copper from my boxes I have been getting. This means that $100 FV copper takes about $325-350 worth of pennies or 13-14 boxes.

14 boxes produces $100 FV copper = 14 (boxes) x 7(100 FV copper) = 98 boxes searched in my area will yield enough copper to cover a Ryedale.

I currently order 16-20 a week at work.

atom12

Greenie
Aug 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverHoarder07 said:
If you sell $100FV at $150 after all fees then you have $50 profit.

I currently order 16-20 a week at work.

I see how our estimates differ. I'm assuming $550 for a Rydale. Also if you sell on ebay to clear $50 profit you'd need to sell and ship for $190. I'd be happy to get that it I see auctions going for $160 to $175. So I'm assuming $30 to $35 profit per $100fv.

Do you work at a bank? I'm nervous to ask for more than 2 boxes at a time.

Henry2

May 27, 2011
Try to find a local buyer. If I didn't have a local buyer who lived 2 minutes away I wouldn't even waste my time for such a small return.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I put a 5 gallon bucket of copper pennies on craigslist and started getting responses pretty quickly. Guy is picking them up Tuesday.

dawg, you cant trust people on da list, it's not safe to have someone pick them up from your house. Always public meeting place, or you gota good chance of this punk coming back 4 your copper pipes next time.

OP
OP
C

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol.. update 60lbs of copper going to make a post on craigslist once I hit 68 pounds :) I'll put up for 160-175$? Which would be a AWESOME profit since this is just a hobby lol. I agree with 50cent on craigslist.. go to a public place :) And I wasn't even going to start those pennies, I was going to take a nap but I saw a 1918 wheatie on the end of 1 :) had to open that one lol. Then I went to bed I finished all of the pennies earlier today. 11 wheaties and 9 canadian :( <--- horrible catch lol

atom12

Greenie
Aug 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been on CL in Chicago and Rockford for 4 weeks. I got 1 guy that offered $120 for $100 FV. I'm asking $150. I tried to bargain to $140 buy the guy wouldn't budge. Let us know if you get hits!

OP
OP
C

CopperHoarder

Dec 23, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Don't use one yet.
Primary Interest:
Other
That's in my area ;p I'm a bit west though lol. Him offering 20.00 over face is kinda a low ball :l

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, EBay is a ripoff!!! I made a computer controlled penny sorter for my son so he can make some cash. But eBay fees are $20 plus $11 S&H for selling $100FV which eats into the profits super fast!!!

The buyer pays shipping.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread