What's new

What should I do with these?

goldencoin

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
5,669
Reaction score
452
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, bank said that someone turned in $1500 of the new 2009 Dollar coin. She mentioned that they bought them to hand out as a wedding gift. Do you think I should buy them and put them on ebay?

HH
-GC
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4762.webp
    IMG_4762.webp
    18.7 KB · Views: 479
Upvote 0
It's always worth a shot to see what they're going for on eBay.
 
I dont think you will get a mark-up on them. You can still get them at face value from the mint as part of there direct ship dollar program. $25 roll is $25 plus $4.95 shipping for unlimited rolls. After Ebay fees you will lose money. I would just keep a roll for your stash for later years and that would be it.

Jason
 
Shake-N-Bake said:
I dont think you will get a mark-up on them. You can still get them at face value from the mint as part of there direct ship dollar program. $25 roll is $25 plus $4.95 shipping for unlimited rolls. After Ebay fees you will lose money. I would just keep a roll for your stash for later years and that would be it.

Jason

Actually they don't even charge shipping. You get a box of 10 rolls for $250. No shipping. It's a great deal.
 
FingerGrime said:
Shake-N-Bake said:
I dont think you will get a mark-up on them. You can still get them at face value from the mint as part of there direct ship dollar program. $25 roll is $25 plus $4.95 shipping for unlimited rolls. After Ebay fees you will lose money. I would just keep a roll for your stash for later years and that would be it.

Jason

Actually they don't even charge shipping. You get a box of 10 rolls for $250. No shipping. It's a great deal.

Thanks For the correction. I knew it was a great deal. But free shipping from the govt... Wow no wonder we are in debt so much!

Jason
 
Buy them from the mint on a rewards credit card. Max it out and turn them in to a bank for instant money. Can always search some for errors or save a few rolls. :headbang:

Maine_Jim
 
I don't think you can get much for them from collectors. :icon_scratch: One thing you may want to look into are errors on the coins. :hello2:

Keep @ It and HH!! ;D
 
Open them all and then mark them down the edges with a thick black marker, cash them in, and then see when you get them back.... :tongue3:
 
GMan00001 said:
Open them all and then mark them down the edges with a thick black marker, cash them in, and then see when you get them back.... :tongue3:

I almost spit out my drink laughing
 
Some people are funny. I hardly believe the "wedding gift" story, unless they went to a wedding and received them from a frugal guest who participates in the mint's direct ship program and wanted to pawn off the burden of cashing them in at the bank.

The fraud/fees make it not worth your time to bother with ebay unless you are already a power seller on ebay and know how to best protect yourself.

Craigslist is a possibility for those who don't know about the mint or can't afford $250 at a crack, but don't expect more than $28 or so per roll and you will meet strange people.

It's possible to find a dealer paying $26 per roll, but that only works for a few rolls and only for the first person to approach that dealer.

The funny part is that in the short term, these dollars may carry a premium despite the many millions minted because they will be buried in the Fed's many DI's and no accessible due to extremely low circulation. I wouldn't count on a single dollar being recirculated from the Fed until after the presidential dollar program ends.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom