Cylon_Detector
Tenderfoot
- Joined
- Apr 23, 2014
- Messages
- 9
- Reaction score
- 0
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Southern VT
- Detector(s) used
- Garrett ACE 400, Fisher F2, Lesche Ball handle shovel, Lesche hand digger.
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
- #1
Thread Owner
Not sure if this is the right place for this but...
So there's a great old 1920s school building and grounds about half a mile from me. I believe it's where the children of the original owners of our house went to school in the 1930s.
Currently owned and maintained by the Board of Cooperative Educational Services and used by them for classes and summer school. This summer the building is closed due to internal renovations.
After calling the main offices of the BOCES program, on Monday July 14th, I was transferred to a gentleman who seemed to be in charge of the school facilities in question. He was stumped by my request to metal detect there. I explained my interest in local history and the hobby and he said that this summer would be the best time to do it. He said he's make some phone calls and ask the higher authorities at the program what they thought. He said he'd get back to me in a few days. I called back on Wednesday and he was out of his office but said he'd be back Thursday (today) and would definitely ask them about it and get back to me today.
So today, Thursday, July 17th I've been waiting around for his call, my treasure finger itching and he hasn't called.
My questions are: 1. Is it too pushy/persistent to call him again, and could that jeopardize my chances to dig this site?
2. If it's a BOCES program, is it owned by the state and thus public land, and then do I even need permission? (Never dug a school before, so I don't know these things).
This would be a huge help, thanks!
HH
__________________
So there's a great old 1920s school building and grounds about half a mile from me. I believe it's where the children of the original owners of our house went to school in the 1930s.
Currently owned and maintained by the Board of Cooperative Educational Services and used by them for classes and summer school. This summer the building is closed due to internal renovations.
After calling the main offices of the BOCES program, on Monday July 14th, I was transferred to a gentleman who seemed to be in charge of the school facilities in question. He was stumped by my request to metal detect there. I explained my interest in local history and the hobby and he said that this summer would be the best time to do it. He said he's make some phone calls and ask the higher authorities at the program what they thought. He said he'd get back to me in a few days. I called back on Wednesday and he was out of his office but said he'd be back Thursday (today) and would definitely ask them about it and get back to me today.
So today, Thursday, July 17th I've been waiting around for his call, my treasure finger itching and he hasn't called.
My questions are: 1. Is it too pushy/persistent to call him again, and could that jeopardize my chances to dig this site?
2. If it's a BOCES program, is it owned by the state and thus public land, and then do I even need permission? (Never dug a school before, so I don't know these things).
This would be a huge help, thanks!
HH
__________________

Technically we should be allowed to detect at the Public Parks, Schools, Post office, Court House, Jail house, or any other government building that has a lawn.
As we please with no questions asked... However people are so nosy, bossy and on power trips.
Taxes are paid by most of us and we should be allowed to dig at these places. As long as we fill in our holes stomp them hard into the ground and make sure they stay down. So we don't get in trouble for damaging public property....
So if its public land get out there and find something !! 







