ironman123

Sep 1, 2016
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400 w/DD Coil.
Nokta Makro Legend Pro Pak w/11" and 6" Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Garrett Ace 400 now but thinking about 1 or 2 steps more. Either the APEX or the AT Pro. All I do is hunt for coins and jewelry in parks, church grounds, vacant lots and sometimes at fresh water beaches and camp grounds. I hear good things about both. Another thing is the software upgrade for the APEX.

Would appreciate opinions on both or even on my ACE 400. Thanks a lot.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you thought about the AT max as an option or are you fixed on a price range? the apex still has to have a cover if you hunt in the rain whereas the Max, pro, or gold don't need that as they are submersible, if I upgraded I would go for the max because it has a backlit display and I hunt at night occasionally and wish the gold had that. It is in a higher price range than you are looking at. Another good thing about the pro,max and gold are the coils are interchangeable. They are all pretty much the same machine except for extra frequencies and other features.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
If you are remaining a Garrett guy from what I read maybe move up to AT MAX.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been very happy with the Apex, especially for its simultaneous multi frequencies (a big plus), the fact that it's rechargeable (I hate replacing batteries) and its very light weight, which are all the reasons that made me choose it over the AT machines. The wireless headphones and wireless pin pointer are also a plus.

The screen does have a backlite and at least two available DD coils.

OP
OP
ironman123

ironman123

Sep 1, 2016
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400 w/DD Coil.
Nokta Makro Legend Pro Pak w/11" and 6" Coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Emil W, Back-of-the-boat and DFX-SE Gregg for your input. I did read about the AT Max. It also had some good points. Get what you pay for I guess. I am not hard core Garrett. Open for suggestions for something that will do what I am digging for without breaking my bank.

S.Carolinahunter

Jan 21, 2022
Orangeburg County S.Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace Apex
I have a Garrett Ace 400 now but thinking about 1 or 2 steps more. Either the APEX or the AT Pro. All I do is hunt for coins and jewelry in parks, church grounds, vacant lots and sometimes at fresh water beaches and camp grounds. I hear good things about both. Another thing is the software upgrade for the APEX.

Would appreciate opinions on both or even on my ACE 400. Thanks a lot.
I agree with Emil..I've had the Apex for a few months now..I'm very happy with it and it smokes small targets

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're open to other brands I'd take a look at the Minelab Vanquish series. Had I spent more time researching I may have decided on the Vanquish 540 instead of the Apex. Check out the YouTube videos on the Apex vs the Vanquish 540.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never used one but the Nokta Simplex is getting a lot of good press.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread