What to do with tin (food) cans????

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
I just moved into a house & the previous people left a pile of clean cans. We are talking about a HUGE pile - it will fill up at least one pickup truck bed, maybe two. We thought we would fill a garbage bag each week & put them out with the garbage. Hah! The bag was pretty heavy & we didn't even put a noticable dent in the pile. We recycle everything else, like wire & aluminum, but I wasn't sure they still recycle tin cans. They are washed, clean, & dry and stacked in the garage. Will scrap yards take them? Our nearest scrap yard is about 60 miles one way.

Also, are there different kinds of cans? Do they need to be sorted?

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
you'll get tin/steel price, here in IL about .035 to .04 cents per pound.

to make it easier to transport, run them over with you vehicle to flatten them real good. Then you can put them in bags to take to the yard. You may be able to get them in one load then. You'll be surprised how small the pile will look flat. I do this and it does not hurt the tires, just make sure they're cans and not nails or screws mixed in. Then sweep them with a shovel and broom. Also cat food and some tuna cans are Aluminum.

or just leave'em at the curb and we'll pick them up!

happy hunting
Rumblebelly

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All depends on how much time you want to spent on them. I cut both ends out and then just push on them so they go flat some. Put them in a box as they will be heavy and take them in for scrap prices......Matt

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
My recycle place is just now accepting them,, must be clean,, no lables,,,, that is the only conditions they set. and you get going rate for scrap steel

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread