What's new

what type bullet

Dfxcobb

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2016
Messages
390
Reaction score
887
Golden Thread
0
Location
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
whites mx sport. DFX tesori tiger shark
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this last year and pretty sure it is a bullet but could no locate in the cartridge and bullet book by James Thomas online so here it is. I may have over looked or missed it but 617 grain 1.28 L and .52 D looks like a very crude bullet if it is. Thanks
 

Attachments

  • 20190606_171905.webp
    20190606_171905.webp
    597.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 20190606_171911.webp
    20190606_171911.webp
    497.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 20190606_171919.webp
    20190606_171919.webp
    437 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0
Looks like an Enfield but the measurements don't match any I found.
 
I'm with fyrffytr1 on this one,looks like an Enfield. The weight seems a little high,even the .577 Enfields don't weigh that much.
 
i agree..thanks for responding
 
What does the nose look like?
 
Found this last year and pretty sure it is a bullet but could no locate in the cartridge and bullet book by James Thomas online so here it is. I may have over looked or missed it but 617 grain 1.28 L and .52 D looks like a very crude bullet if it is. Thanks

I'd 'guess' it's a 54 cal Enfield type / slick , I have found similar ( I have not weighed them ) , I have found similar in (Army of Tennessee sites ) '1864'.

Yours is interesting (the wave in the lead )?

Was it found in the Water?

It's def, a keeper.

Wish that I could help more.

TheCannonBallGuy would surly know IMO.
 
thank u. yes found in water
 
here is more pics20190611_171435.webp20190611_171452.webp20190611_171502.webp
 
Is there a hole in the tip, or evidence one was there. that goes through to the cavity? Even if there is no hole I am leaning towards a modern bullet sinker. Not to be confused with the period "Bullet sinker" you posted in another thread.
 
Last edited:
i know what you are asking but bout 99 percent its not a bullet sinker but there is still a possibility. i have double checked measurements and i got 39 grams or 601 grain
 
My 'Inquiring mind needs to know about this one'.

Hope you get it figured out.
 
20190625_193402.webpTACH] here pic of top
 
thank ya...
 
Yes, I'm in agreement with an Enfield.
 
Looks exactly like two I found a few years ago in some trenches at Petersburg. I found both together in the same hole and both drops. Thinner than a typical Enfield and I believe just a variant is all. Don't have mine handy for measurements, just a visual comparison at the moment.
 
i do appreciate the responses. I will place it with the rest of my bullets
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom