What's new

Lonely .45-70 405 from low water bar

Almy

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
3,954
Golden Thread
0
Location
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
The drought in our area has caused the water to drop dramatically, exposing large areas of gravel bar. This happens many years. In the past I have found a few interesting items on these bars - a muzzle-loading pistol ramrod pipe, an 1853 .577 caliber Enfield rifle musket bullet, an 1859 Queen Victoria large Canadian cent and an 1843 New Brunswick penny. This is over a 20 year period and over acres of the bars. I go out mostly for the fun and just randomly walk around, swinging the detector and looking about. There are many "hot rocks" on these bars, so there are lots of signals. It takes a bit of discernment to distinguish these from real signals. There's such a large area and so few items that a concentrated search is worthless. I know, I have tried a few times!
On this occasion, I got a rather weak signal that was very concentrated on one little spot. Hot rock signals usually come from a couple of places and with lots of chatter. So I dug and the pinpointer located the bullet in the sand pile I made. When I saw it, I immediately thought of .45 caliber, and a rifle because it was so long. Weighing it when I got home indicated 401 grains. That's 4 grains less than a .45-70 405 rifle bullet. The bullet is in good shape but has been fired and is distorted a little. The distortion and grinding along in the sand and rocks probably accounts for the weight loss.
.45-70 is not a common caliber for this area. Finding it just added a little "spice" to my walk on the bars.
 

Attachments

  • Bar 45 bullet 4.webp
    Bar 45 bullet 4.webp
    247.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Bar 45 bullet.webp
    Bar 45 bullet.webp
    350.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Bar 45 bullet 1.webp
    Bar 45 bullet 1.webp
    425.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Bar 45 bullet 2.webp
    Bar 45 bullet 2.webp
    411.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Bar 45 bullet 3.webp
    Bar 45 bullet 3.webp
    418.8 KB · Views: 100
Upvote 18
Boy, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that baby ! Neat find.
 
Thanks for the replies!
About the coin possibility: good eye to notice that circle! The bullet is .45" in diameter so that circle would be maybe .20"? That's pretty small for a coin, I think. And my pinpointer did not indicate any other targets in the pile. But I might still be able to find the spot.....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom