cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found along with other 100 year old items. This is what I have found out about what is stamped on it. There were several U.S.S. Buffalo vessels over the years. The one I believe applies is one that was part of our Navy fleet from 1898 to 1927. It had various duties and home bases during that time, one of them being San Diego. One of it's duties was being used as a barrack's ship. The stampings on the other side have P.M. & C. Co. along with a large 4556 number stamped into it. P.M. & C. Co. I believe is Pacific Marine and Construction Company, which was in business from 1918 to 1920......which is the right time frame for when the U.S.S. Buffalo was here. The P.M. & C. Co. built 2 ships and also repaired them, so, that seems to fit too. There is also a number 36 stamped inside a rectangle box on the Buffalo side. My main question is what it was used for. Key chain tag? Tool check tag? Seems like too big a number for a tool tag,but,? Maybe a key tag for a barracks room? Having 2 different numbers is kind of confusing. Maybe the tag was repurposed? Your thoughts? Oh, it's 1 3/8" in diameter.

Attachments

• bufftoken.jpg
    bufftoken.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 88
  • bufftoken2.jpg
    bufftoken2.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 80

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find Mark. :thumbsup:
I've found a few of these unidentified tags detecting too, I hunt a lot of old mill sites here in Ontario.

Lumber, flour, woolen mills they all used tools and a lot of them used tool tags to keep tools from going home with the workers. :laughing7:
Sounds like you've already done a lot of research, best of luck in getting an I.D. on your find.

Dave

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO...

You have a tag off the decommissioned submarine U.S.S. Buffalo.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread