Whatcom trail: Built in 1857 on an ancient indian trail

Zym

Jan 19, 2007
Gig Harbor WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend ( 6", 11", and 13x13.5" coils)
Ancient Garret Groundhog AM-2
This might be a good hunt.

"The most important crossing was farther north on the spirited Nooksack River (south of present-day Everson). Less than a half mile away was an important Nooksack village."

"Nekiyéy, a settlement at Ten Mile Creek (near the present-day Meridian Middle School, south of Lynden on Ten Mile Road) was such a place, where the trail wandered through beaver ponds and heavy forests and crossed the creek... In 1827 the Hudson’s Bay Company built a trading fort at Langley on the Fraser River, opening up new opportunities for trade in the Coast Salish communities. The HBC may have set up a station at Nekiyéy for trade in beaver pelts."

The article says it was used for a lot of settler commerce, and was traveled heavily after a gold rush on the Frasier River.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=7112

In Google earth you can still see the remains of the trail. If we can find the remains of the old indian camp settlements it could get interesting. Anyone interested in trying to plan a hunt sometime in the future?

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds intriguing!

I would be interested, however, I've been reassigned to Europe in March 2009 :/

If you do go, post pics!

rustyfind

Oct 18, 2007
I am in Olympia and would be interested in a future hunt. My buddy of 50 years would be interested as well.

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Willing to drive over the mountain for a hunt. Let me know when so I can make necessary arrangements.

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 907
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 903
OP
OP
Zym

Zym

Jan 19, 2007
Gig Harbor WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend ( 6", 11", and 13x13.5" coils)
Ancient Garret Groundhog AM-2
NWHunter61 said:
Sounds like a wild goose chase. I love a good goose hunt. Please put me on the list~

;D My thoughts exactly.

Well, were in the rainy season now, and it going to be getting cold that far north really fast, so this might be a better hunt for the spring/summer. I've only scratched the surface on the research, so hopefully between now and then we can nail down a specific area we want to hunt.

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will be back from Georgia in the spring. If I get back in time I would be more than interested.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I would also love to come! :thumbsup: I usually hunt with JuJu, so when he gets back from his trip we can set up a time and have a big hunt!

Let me know when it is, so then me and him can set a weekend aside.

uncoolperson

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2008
is this still a possibility? I'm around there and would love to learn how all this works

equipped with dull mind and an el cheapo detector from christmas.... maybe if this hobby is for me I'll upgrade.

uncoolperson

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2008
I'll try again, I'm local and if someone wants to do this that knows what they're doing (I don't) I'd like to join in.

Eris

Dec 30, 2019
Tri-Cities WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be game to go on a hunt like that. Maybe set up another go at Whatcom trail.

BH505Man

Nov 18, 2013
Granite Falls, WA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 6",11" coils, Teknetics T2SE,&T2 Classic, 5", CORS Fortune 5.5x9.5", 11", CORS Strike 12x13", 15"coils, Legacy 3500, 4", 8",10" & 11"DD coils, Lesche digging Knife, Lesche T Handle Shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might be a good hunt.

"The most important crossing was farther north on the spirited Nooksack River (south of present-day Everson). Less than a half mile away was an important Nooksack village."

"Nekiyéy, a settlement at Ten Mile Creek (near the present-day Meridian Middle School, south of Lynden on Ten Mile Road) was such a place, where the trail wandered through beaver ponds and heavy forests and crossed the creek... In 1827 the Hudson’s Bay Company built a trading fort at Langley on the Fraser River, opening up new opportunities for trade in the Coast Salish communities. The HBC may have set up a station at Nekiyéy for trade in beaver pelts."

The article says it was used for a lot of settler commerce, and was traveled heavily after a gold rush on the Frasier River.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=7112

In Google earth you can still see the remains of the trail. If we can find the remains of the old indian camp settlements it could get interesting. Anyone interested in trying to plan a hunt sometime in the future?

If this hunt hasn't happened yet, If you still want to do it, I would be game. Just let me know ahead of time and we can maybe hookup and check it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread