Whats your pleasure?

For me it's sittin' at a river listening to the sounds of my sluice going ca-ching as the gold drops in to say hi! Seriously being out in nature meeting other people listening to the water going by enjoying life. Gold is just a bonus.

My favorite part about detecting is the technology of it. Not building my own coils or anything...but the differences in each brand. X machine has X amount of depth. X machine has X amount of separation...recovery speed....disc...notch...etc etc. One has VDI...one uses 80 tones and no VDI...one has manual GB one has auto GB.

There are so many types and varieties I just like to read up on them and see what they are all about. I have just as much fun reading about a detector as I do using one. Pointers...diggers...$50 gloves...it never ends.

It just amazes me how a $60 detector can do something better than a $1200 one in a certain category....and then how in other categories the $1200 machine blows it out of the water. Turns me on and makes me feel all beep beep on the inside.

As far as getting out and "doing it".....my favorite part is thinking about the "who/what/when/where" behind each find. Even if I find 5-6 bottle caps of the same flavor all in one place I sit and think somebody sure likes this brand of beer/soda/alcohol etc etc. I play a scenario in my head...even paint faces to imaginary people drinking away at the park. Then I call them jerks under my breath for littering and onto the next hole where I rinse and repeat.

I find metal detecting very relaxing as it takes my mind off of the cares of the day. And I love finding old relics from my ancestral neighbors. But mostly, I believe I am quite literally addicted to it, lol. Thank goodness it is a harmless addiction....

I like finding any kind of coins. I have opened 5 savings accounts for my grandkids and great grandkids.

The thrill of the hunt, and finding "something" after all the digging!

I think it's 3 fold for me:

1. As stated by Loco
The next plug may be "THE PLUG" that holds an old coin, a piece of jewelry, or a cool relic. That is what drives me.
It's that almost a gambling type feeling, but better because you never know what it will be.

2. I'm a coin collector and finding the coins myself is so much more satisfying that buying them. They come with a story of how and where I found them!

3. When I find something, wondering how it got there. I come up with all kinds of scenarios. My aunt-in-law loves to play this game with me. So, MDing brings me pleasure even when I'm not out swinging!

Shhhhhh! If the world finds out we're having this much fun detecting...:eek: well you know what happens, :(

It's that almost a gambling type feeling, but better because you never know what it will be

That's how I explain it to my friends and relatives. It's the same rush as gambling, but your money is never at risk. To me, the only bigger rush than winning money is finding money!

Where I live, I mostly hit parks. It is relaxing for me. But my favorite is jewelry as there are not many old coins around here. I was able to find a 1934 silver quarter this year. It was a nice surprise.

It used to be about history and the past until I started hunting beaches. Now it's about gold, only gold. I've grown to love foil and pull tabs.

It's about clearing my mind and getting outside for a couple of hours.Even if I don't come home with much it's still the experience of sharing time out with my husband. I also like finding little oddball finds and doing the research on them.

Last edited:
It's about clearing my mind and getting outside for a couple of hours.Even if I don't come home with much it's still the experience of sharing tim out with my husband. I also like finding little oddball finds and doing the research on them.

I hear you. The therapeutic side of this hobby makes us all better people.

It's about clearing my mind and getting outside for a couple of hours.Even if I don't come home with much it's still the experience of sharing tim out with my husband. I also like finding little oddball finds and doing the research on them.

Hey lady.... You and the Mister are right around the corner from me. If you two would ever like to old "road hunt" let's have some fun! Maybe Frank (Huntsman53) can be here and the 4 of us can dig between 30-50 horseshoes within a couple of hours!!!!!! :laughing7:

Hey Relic Nut see my post in the General Discussion under the thread on "Rubbing Coins"and you'll see you and me are on the same page.

It used to be about history and the past until I started hunting beaches. Now it's about gold, only gold. I've grown to love foil and pull tabs.
If that is the case, I am willing to trade all my foil and pull tabs for all your gold.

If that is the case, I am willing to trade all my foil and pull tabs for all your gold.
First you need to get the machine I use. You see my machine lies! It tells me foil and pull tabs and instead I dig gold rings and chains. Maybe my machine is busted:tongue3:

First you need to get the machine I use. You see my machine lies! It tells me foil and pull tabs and instead I dig gold rings and chains. Maybe my machine is busted:tongue3:

Sounds like mine, it lies to. Some of my best finds have been when I said, dig it anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back