what1.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 402

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Looks like a gasket to me. What does the lower half, the part that's out of the picture look like? It could also be a mounting bracket. The curved slot would be used to tension a pulley or component that's driven by a belt.

Upvote 0

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Looks like something would bolt through the hold in the center and then it would pivot 45 degrees left or right of center. What it was I have no clue...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:) 1/4 in. thick iron... small holes in end

Attachments

• whatzit2.jpg
    whatzit2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 391
Upvote 0

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Michelle said:
:) 1/4 in. thick iron... small holes in end

It's a bracket. Because of it's relative flatness and thinness I would bet that it was for a pulley and not a component like an alternator or air conditioner compressor. The pulley would have been used to tension a belt. The bracket and pulley together are called an idler arm. The single hole at the top would be where the base of the idler arm mounted. There would be a second hole in the idler arm, which would line up with the slot in your picture. The idler arm would pivot around the single hole, and the bolt that went through that hole and the slot would be tightened once the pulley had been properly tensioned. Pop the hood on your car and you can see examples of this, though they might be different in design.

Upvote 0

sanford.

Aug 3, 2005
Looks like an automotive alternator bracket. There would be a bolt in the circular slot to adjust the belt tension.

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
MiddenMonster said:
Looks like a gasket to me. What does the lower half, the part that's out of the picture look like? It could also be a mounting bracket. The curved slot would be used to tension a pulley or component that's driven by a belt.

Maybe a brace for an alternator?

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe part of a barn door roller .

mojjax

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
This might spark some ideas... maybe whatever it is, is just missing it's mate!
:D :D Cool shop photo....Im inclinded to think it was nailed on a Bracket....It seems to have the right components for some kind of automobile part attachnent (alternator ,starter,etc) just cant find a pic of it in action yet.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread