Wheats and Indians

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure this post covers some old ground already covered in previous threads, but I'd appreciate hearing folks' view on the best places to sell wheats and indians and the prices I can expect. I have spare wheats and indians that I don't need for my collection. In the past I have done a decent job selling some indians on feebay, but now that key dates are depleted the likely sales prices on feebay won't justify the fees and hassle. Although I don't have any key dates left among the duplicates I want to sell, I do have a fairly extensive range of dates (e.g., I have spare 1909 vdb wheats, but not 1909s vdb).

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Hold on to them and fill books. Buy older used books. Buyers see the age of the book and pay higher based on speculation that it is "Grandpa's". Look into local auction houses. I have a standing consignor fee of 3% for coins. They never can get enough coins and people pay. I've even enclosed the mint tokens in mint sets in 2x2's and sold them (8 P&D mint tokens for $17).

You can check with farmer's market where there are jewelry vendors. Some "re-purpose" the Buffalo nickels to be used as jewelry. I save my dateless Buff's for this purpose. As a coin collector, I hate to see a good coin being used as jewelry, but dateless Buff's are fair game. The vendors will make money clips, earrings, belt buckles, etc.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Diver. Very creative. I couldn't complete fill any books with what I have, but if someone is interested in partial books I can certainly put some of those together.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks Diver. Very creative. I couldn't complete fill any books with what I have, but if someone is interested in partial books I can certainly put some of those together.

I never complete full books. For example, with the wheat cents, I can fill the common date (40's and 50's) and include a smattering of early cents. The usual market value for common date wheat cents is 3-5 cents each. I average 9 - 12 cents each. The used books I pick-up for free or for very minimal cost. The older and crustier the better.

Find the Walker books and complete the short set (common date walkers from the 40's). Any walker EF or above is not placed in the book. I fill with those walkers that G or VG. Most are fortunate to get melt for the common date low grade walkers. I routinely can expect a few bucks over melt for each. A much better return than selling a roll of common date walkers.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Good advise diver. I need to find some old books too. :-)

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
This advise goes for everyone. Contact a local auctioneer and negotiate a lower consignment rate. My special rate of 3% is only for coins. If I want to sell other stuff (furniture, household items, etc.) then the normal consignor rates apply. The auctioneers don't make a lot off of me, but they in turn get the benefit of additional attendees in the gallery that competitively bid for the coins making a livelier auction. It also takes no additional promotion on their part as the coins sell themselves.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Indian will only harvest as much wheat as he needs to feed his family. He does not sell his wheat, and his wheat doesn't sell him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions