When I was a kid these were made out of green plastic . . .

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.

Attachments

• soldier.jpg
    soldier.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 799
OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
THE GENERAL LEE!!!!! The southern flag is worn off!! Wow does that bring back memories. I had the whole set as a kid, the big white cadilac (boss hoggs car) and the white Jeep ( daisy duke ). I still have them all somewhere. I would love to dig one like that up. I have all the episodes on DVD and watch them when I get the chance. Thanks for sharing that with me, I'm gonna look mine up and post a pic when I get a chance.

Ian

Upvote 0

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
BioProfessor said:
Well I guess I have to show my age. When I was a kid, we had kits where we melted lead and poured it into molds to make our own soldiers. This would have been the late fifties.

I wish I had one or two of the molds. My grandfather did he was a kid in the 1920's

Upvote 0

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
warsawdaddy said:
I remember one Xmas,she had a little money and she didn't know whether to buy me a toy to play with or a new pair of trousers.

And now I bet you treat yourself to a new pair of glasses and a palm razor. ;)

Upvote 0

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
wildrider said:
warsawdaddy said:
I remember one Xmas,she had a little money and she didn't know whether to buy me a toy to play with or a new pair of trousers.

And now I bet you treat yourself to a new pair of glasses and a palm razor. ;)

She was very resourceful--she bought me the new pair of trousers and cut the front pocket out.

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
wildrider said:
Cynangyl said:
too cool! They were green plastic when I was a kid too! I used to make corrals with nails stuck in the dirt and run wire between them and put little horses in the corrals and have the little green army men guard the pretty horses! lol A girl's rendition of army I guess :P

I think they do that to wild horses out west and then shoot them...er I mean put them up for adoption.

Burt

lol too funny! Actually out west here my mother actually did adopt one of the wild horses when she was young and has many great memories of Chief that she shares with us. Sounds like we all got into our share of trouble using our imagination during playtime.....ya think maybe that is why they only have toys that use no imagination now? ;)

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I am convinced that one of our "problems" we have today with our youth (you can pick your own) is due to the fact that we don't "force" them to use their imagination. Just an observation but I don't notice the neighborhood kids building forts, playing with simple items in innovative ways (toy soldiers, animals, marbles, etc.), or just playing outside making up stuff to do. There are many societal issues that keep kids from going out and playing in the woods all day but I do think we are losing something we can't get back. I think it is going to be a pretty bad thing in the long run.

Sorry to be so far off topic but I think it is one of the things relating to the use of those green plastic soldiers.

Daryl

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bio -

I agree with you 100%. Look at what we are all doing now, we are all communicating on the internet instead of in person. Kids now have a virtual playground called myspace. They have all the video games on demand that they want. Forget playing with toy cars, lets play grand theft auto and live in this virtual shoot-em up world. (obviously not all kids do this) I'm relatively young, but it was a ton different even 15 years ago. We used to ride bikes and make ramps to jump them. It was completely different then it is now.

Ian

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I absolutely agree Daryl! The lack of toy soldier type toys, responsiblities and many other things that have changed definitely did not make the world a better place! Just my opinion though.

Upvote 0

Shortround

Feb 28, 2007
Castlewood, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Sovereign GT Sunray S1 Probe
SaginawIan said:
Bio -

I agree with you 100%. Look at what we are all doing now, we are all communicating on the internet instead of in person. Kids now have a virtual playground called myspace. They have all the video games on demand that they want. Forget playing with toy cars, lets play grand theft auto and live in this virtual shoot-em up world. (obviously not all kids do this) I'm relatively young, but it was a ton different even 15 years ago. We used to ride bikes and make ramps to jump them. It was completely different then it is now.

Ian

Yep - I notice the same thing - even in my own son (who is name Ian, coincidentally). When I a kid, I spent 95% of my free time outdoors. My son spends less than 10%. I even notice myself spending less and less time outdoors - one of the reasons I picked up the hobbly of MDing was to spen more time outdoors. When I hunted and fished and biked and hiked, I was 60 pounds lighter than I am now, too :-[ .

Upvote 0

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
I can just see what would happen if you give a toy soldier to a kid today. After looking at it for 2 to 3 seconds he would say: "What does it do?"

Upvote 0

ndstomper

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2005
I found some of these when I was a kid. They were from when my father was a child. He was born in 1927. He said that they had a mold to make their own soldiers. I wish he still had that mold it would be cool to have.

Upvote 0

Sandmaniac

Jan 23, 2007
Rehoboth Ma.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here ya go guys, I think my father made these when he was a kid in the forties, these are metal.

Attachments

• 000_0534.jpg
    000_0534.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 350
Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine were in green plastic too. . . I used to set them up in the woods behind mounds of dirt and shoot at them with my Daisy BB gun. After I finished, there were always one or two missing. . . only to be found 30 years later by adults like us.

watercolor

Upvote 0

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
I uesed to borrow out tunnels under the sidewalk and use them as armyman caves and blow em up remember had a n M80 and was gonna shove it in then thought well hell lets use two --so we tied 2 togather heck of an explosion was a hell of a sidewalk also (that used to be at least)

Upvote 0

Fast_Dave

Mar 21, 2003
Superior, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer, White's 6000, Fisher Aquanaut
snappy said:
BioProfessor said:
Well I guess I have to show my age. When I was a kid, we had kits where we melted lead and poured it into molds to make our own soldiers. This would have been the late fifties.

I wish I had one or two of the molds. My grandfather did he was a kid in the 1920's

Actually, you can still get molds for making lead soldiers. Many of the old molds are available on Ebay if you do a search for "mold" in the Toy Soldier category. If you wanted new molds, here's a link to a website that has remakes of the old metal molds and newer silicon rubber molds along with all the melting and pouring equipment http://www.miniaturemolds.com/ .

Upvote 0

Comanche Todd

Jan 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to fill old aluminum ice trays with plastic army men and pretend it was a us naval landing craft, then pour some gasoline on the water and light it, to simulate a battle at Iwo Jima, and also throw firecrackers to simulate a rocket or mortar attack in the pond. ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread