What's new

When metal detecting large areas, do you usually grid the whole area first, mark promising repeatable signals, and then come back to work them later?

halle monkey

Greenie
Joined
Jul 26, 2026
Messages
19
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Or do you dig and mark as you go?
I’ve been experimenting with a small metal-detecting rover for pre-scanning and marking locations, mainly as a way to save time and avoid digging random holes.
 
Step back about twenty years ago; My then partner (Ben, now deceased) and me, laid out a grid on a local park using spray-on, water-based, grass marker paint. Several things happened as a result. Yes, we did find more stuff with some of it expensive jewelry. Secondly, we got dozens of people coming up to us asking what the hey we were going? The park department noticed and started asking questions as well. The net result was, in my opinion, unwelcomed attention. I suggest folks not to repeat the experiment. This said....

I purchased a decent, pocket-sized GPS unit. I don't remember the model, but it was around $500. Out in the open, it was good enough you could place yourself within a yard or two of where you left off. Using local landmarks (trees, park benches, etc.) a person could cover almost all of any given location. I didn't think of it as gridding off an area, but looking back on it, I suppose it was. Nowadays, a decent smartphone can do just as well, or better, if you use one equipped with satellite phone service. I've not tried, but factory literature suggests pinpointing down to a few feet worst case.

Alas, I have ceased worrying about gridding, as I use detecting more for exercise than I do finding stuff!
 
A random hole? Who digs random holes when detecting?

Treat the ground like wet paint. Then add another coat with your search coil.
No need to tromp around when not using (using for recoveries) the search coil in order to use the search coil. Just be thorough by overlap and get to detecting.

Conditions change. All the marking and gridding and flags and certain moon phases or incantations won't prevent that .
Should a given object known to be on site in range of a detector not be located then changing approach during different conditions is warranted. Wind sprints to survey potential decent signals before even one is recovered won't change effectiveness as much. If I know my detector is hollering silver; why not recover it?

What is the difference between a small gold earring and a small wad of foil that prior surveying would help?
 
I attack large areas in consecutive grids, 20' wide, 30' long. The grids take about 30-35min. to complete. No sense marking a target, just dig it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom